3.08 gears with 31s need info | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.08 gears with 31s need info

Blee1099 said:
Damn 3.08.. I know they did offer them in the Explorer but I never found one with that ratio.

I have only seen 1991 or 92 Explorers with 3.08 ratio. As far as I have known, all 93 and later trucks had at least 3.27s. I can only guess that Ford figured out that 3.08 was too weak for our 29"-30" tires, 5000 lb trucks, and V6 engines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not mine 1994 they still made 3.08

Here's an idea. Put on the 31's and see how you like it. If it sucks, then regear!

My wife's 92 Sport has 3.08 and 31s. I know it's not ideal, but it works for her.

you must have driven your wifes sport what do you think? i am proably going to get the tires any way and a 3 inch lift right before but the regearing might be out of my price range. so all i can do is live with it for now until i get out of college. there is one problem that i have the explorer is so old and has so many miles that it really does not make sence to put so much money into it when some crazy driver can take it all away from me in a matter of a couple seconds.

If you want the 31s on there, if you don't mind slow takeoffs you can probably live with 3.08's and 31s with the OHV. Mileage on a 1st gen is poor anyway (12-13 in town) so that won't surprise you either.

metstalker said:
not mine 1994 they still made 3.08

Well I stand corrected then. Yours is the first 1994 Explorer I have heard of that had 3.08s. Maybe the first of many??

NO don't go to the junkyard, I just took my 3.73s out of my 1998 explorer sport. I will sell you them for 50$ + shipping. These gears were taken out by a proffesional offroad shop. They said they were in great condition as I was wondering if they were worth selling or keeping. I have all the parts that came out of my rear axle in a box that he took out. I had a detroit locker installed along with 4.56's. These weren't faulty in anyway I just wanted a little more power to push my 33's.

send me a pm if your interested!

Don't worry about it too much man. I have ran all of URE with 35's and 3.55 gears and no lockers. Gas mileage sucks around 10 miles to the gallon. But I am not wasting the money when I am about to swap both diffs.

ive contacted leetz and am buying the 3.73

good move, you will like 3.73's with 31s. Installing the gears is kinda tricky, find a good shop and good luck with it.

Back