• Register Today It's free!

3.08 gears with 31s need info

metstalker

Reaction score
City, State
Atl, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer XLT
i am about to buy 31s for my explorer and get a 2 or 3 inch body lift and i was looking up gear ratio and i found out that i have 3.08 gear ratio this really means nothing to me so could some one explain the type of gear ratio that i have and how these bigger tires will affect my performance (its an explorer so i am really not expecting to drag race with it)
any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.08's are super high. As high a gear ratio as an Explorer has. Generally for power and acceleration you want to have lower gearing(which has a higher numerical number). Your pinion gear has to turn 3.08 times to make one revolution of the ring gear. A higher number(but lower gear) like on a 4.10, the pinion gear has to turn 4.10 times to make a complete revolution of the ring gear. Higher gears make the motor turn at lower rpm's than a lower gear, at any given speed. Bigger tires will sap power, and acceleration, but with 3.08's you probably don't have much anyways. :)

Damn 3.08.. I know they did offer them in the Explorer but I never found one with that ratio. I would suggest going to atleast 3.27 or 3.55 if your gonna run 31s.

thanks for the input. if i wanted gears for highway and regular speeds where could i get it. so as far as it slowing my explorer down there should not be that much of a difference?

fronm your sig it says you have a tow package....that means you have 3:73 gears if indeed your truck came from the foactory with a tow package....also i am with blee, i have only seen 3:27 as the highest gears in the explorers....whats your axle code on the door tag????

i wonder if any one has some used gears that they arnt using and would be willing to part with?

If you are going to change gears, I'd go big, or go home :). I'd go with at least a 3.73LS or more the more desired 4.10LS. Regearing isn't a cheap date, but can sometimes be found at trans shops. Some shops specialize in drivelines, and gears, I'd check the yellow pages. Online Randys ring and pinion is a popular site.

the axle code is 43 i already looked it up and yes its the factory tow package my father bought it brand new and it has been kept mostly stock. from what i can tell it has a tranny cooler and a tow hitch. and he says that he bought it with the tow package 220000 miles on 3.08 i dont know what im missing!

The tow package comes standard with the 3.73LS. He must have purchased one on the lot, and they added a hitch, and tranny cooler.

i dont think so my father is really picky about adding stuff to his truck (as in the ten years he owned it the truck stayed stock) either its a missprint or mistake is there any way for me to check? like what would a factory hitch look like

The dealer would have added a factory Ford hitch, and tranny cooler, so there would be no difference. If it had a tow package the axle code would read d4. The white door sticker is probably accurate. The dealer may have just lied, and added the options. It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

well i guess i will just have to live with im not into racing people so going fast is not a concern. and i dont have enough money to get new tires and get it regeared but could i do some bolt ons

The factory tow package did not come with a hitch. As far as I know atleast. I've had two Explorers so far, both with the tow package, and both don't have hitches. I'm guessing it was added sometime down the line.

You should be able to pick up a front 3.73 differential for about $50 on this site (I got one in the shed). You may also be able to pick up used rear gears or a axle at the junkyard. 3.73 is not a bad axle ratio with 31s.

what would i have to have? i cant use the same axle? Gears and what else

All the factory tow package was was a tranny cooler, and the prewiring for trailer lights. It was actually called the "tow prep. package" The whole rear axle is fairly straight forward swap, I don't know about just swapping the rear diff. If you get the front and rear diffs, you should be good to go, I think.

by the way mine is a 2wd so i dont think i need front diff

All you need to find is a cheap rear axle then.

Nevermind :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

would the junk yard be a good place

Back