• Register Today It's free!

3.55 gears and 32's?

wantedexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Jay, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer V8
I have 3.55 gears and im picking up a set of 32-11.50.15x8's in a week from work. (i also have a 3" BI)
Should this gearing be ok to run with the tires? i saw people useing the 3.27's (?) with 31's and they said they didnt notice any differance.

im going one size up tire with a size up gear so should i be fine to ? i do ALOT of highway driveing 55-70 MPH. any one for-see any problems i may have with this set up?its my daily.. but i do little and i mean VERY little offroading.

thanks everyone

Allan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be ok. i'm running 33's with 3.27 and its running pretty good. Though I will be changing my gears soon

I have 3.55s and on 33s. I had 34s, ran fine. 32s should be fine. I plan on regearing mine though to 4.10

-Drew

what kind of MPG's are u getting?

ExplorerDMB00 said:
I have 3.55s and on 33s. I had 34s, ran fine. 32s should be fine. I plan on regearing mine though to 4.10

-Drew

Mind if i ask what you were getting for MPG highway and city with the 33's? so i have a ruff estiment? and what u were getting b4 that so i can compare to where mine *should* be around?

any one elcse with MPG with 32's or 33's and the same gears would be great.. i drive around 500miles per week.

I get about 13 mpg around city. I haven't taken it on the highway yet - and dont want to. I use to get like 17 mpg in the beginning

-Drew

That will be fine. It might be a little sluggish on the highway.

I am running 32 x 11.5" with 3.55 gears and my truck is a 5 Speed. the truck is ok in the city, but feels a bit underpowered. when offroading i mostly use low range because i have to slip the clutch too much in high range, and the crawl speed is way too fast. even in low range in first gear the truck has has a little trouble on some extremely steep climbs in the bush.

i have plans to re-gear with 4:56's

if you drive mostly in the city you shouldnt have any trouble though

Guys, would you get terrible gas mileage running 4'' lift, 33s, and geared 456? This would be used as a daily driver and I would still need decent gas mileage on the road.

I will be running a 4.56 soon. It shouldn't decrease the milage. Cause the engine is running harder to turn over the tires with the stock gears, with the 4.56 it can run easier and run a shorter pulse width in the injectors. But I believe that the engine runs at a higher RPM, so I'm guessing there would be loss. I'm sure someone on here can give you a direct answer.

-Drew

I plan on putting a 3" in body lift and a 4" in suspension lift on with 35's or 37's what would be the best gear to put on, and do I have replace the driveshafts at all. This is for a 95 XLT

im runnin 32s on 3.73, i get about 17 highway, 14 city. what do you guys think changin to 4.10 would do for me mpg and power wise?

beast said:
im runnin 32s on 3.73, i get about 17 highway, 14 city. what do you guys think changin to 4.10 would do for me mpg and power wise?
I don't know how much of a change you'd feel by switching to 4.10s. I don't think it is worth the money to just move up to 4.10s. I'd go with 33s+ and 4.56s or leave the 3.73s and 32s

Chippy49 said:
I plan on putting a 3" in body lift and a 4" in suspension lift on with 35's or 37's what would be the best gear to put on, and do I have replace the driveshafts at all. This is for a 95 XLT

I do not know how you will be able to run 35s or 37s on that setup. I have the exact set up and the biggest tires I ran was a 34 inch tall tire and i rubbed. Also, the front suspension work have to go if you plan on running 37s. The front driveshaft will have to be replaced, I have one for sale that you could use:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122592

The rear will be fine. I can ship that driveshaft out ASAP if you want it. It's in great shape.

-Drew

I'm running 33 Xterrains with 4.56s,kkm intake,magnaflow dual exhaust, and shift kit and I get about 12 mpg with the way I drive. I drive about 30% highway 70% street. I also accelerate a good amount off stop lights and race friends and really get on the gas every once in a while.

Back