• Register Today It's free!

3.8 SC stuff on my Sport?

tbird88

Reaction score
City, State
Tejas - home of Stevie Ray Vaughan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport 5spd
Just got a '94 Sport today, fell in lust with it on the spot. Dark Blue-Green metallic, Opal interior, 5spd, 2wd, 2dr, pretty neat vehicle but it's beggin' for a little bit of personality. I have a lot of 89-95 Thunderbird Super Coupe stuff layin' around and of course ya know what the first thing to cross my mind was...

Anyways, hope to get a good long look under the hood tomorrow. Curious to see what (if any) Super Coupe parts will work under the hood especially throttle body and MAF. All I did this evenin' was check the rearend ratio, I saw that it's a 8.8 with 3.27 cogs.
Is it a single-leg (open)?
Is it 28 spline?
If so, I have a coupla 28 spline TracLoks out've SC's and I'm sure one would feel right at home under this Sport.

Suggestions welcomed!

in Texas,

'bird

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dunno about the engine stuff, but the 8.8 is 31 spine, and im not sure what you mean by "single leg".congrats on your purchase and welcome to the site!

I was just talking to my old mechanic (Ford factory trained..20+ yrs experience and all that BS) the other day about me putting in a 3.2 SHO and we got talking about a guy in Kansas has a S/C 3.8L. He said he kept throwing belts and having to keep hacking into the frame and it was just a mess. I will talk to him some time soon. I will ask him if he knows the guys name.....

Thank ya SQ, I'm a regular on the SCCoA so it's highly possible that the fella in Kansas and I have run across each other. I really like the principle of this Explorer already, pretty neat vehicle. Can't resist checkin' out what SC stuff might be doable on it though, be silly for me not to at least swap the MAF and whatever else is handy.
Got plenty of blowers layin' around but that would open too big a can of worms, I'll save major work like that for my SC's. It did cross my mind about swappin' in a pair of Super Coupe seats, they're 6-way seats and have lumbar adjustments etc so might be sumthin' to keep on the maybe-list.
Got a check engine light, gonna see if the O2 sensors need replacing. Idles fine but I think I detect a slight misfire at cruising speed, around 2200rpm at 60-65mph or so. Like I said, just got it yesterday so there's a lot to take in.

By the way, if you saw my custom parts page then you know I'm just gonna HAVE to make some goodies to personalize it!

thanks,

'bird

Back