• Register Today It's free!

302 or 351?

Kinserin

Reaction score
City, State
Coaldale, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I currently have an EFI 302 from an 86ish cougar (still have the car as well, sitting in my back yard) and I possibly have a 351 from a cop car... Newerish, like 99. Is there any real difference in size and swappability between the two? I know a 351 is doable, but I'm not quite sure if its 'a tight fit' or just as snug as a 302. From what I've been told a 302 and 351 use the same block, so technically its pretty much the same size, no?

Either engine will get 'done up' to 250-300hp, not a lot I know, but its better than my 4.0.. And a straight over swap doesnt seem like its worth the effort as a stock 302 from 1986 isnt quite the powerhouse I originally wanted it to be. Maybe 40hp more than my 4.0. But basically, I can either use my 302 which needs a complete rebuild as it stands, or possibly trade the entire cougar for a 351 out of a cop car, which I believe is still running, just smashed up on one side.

Opinions on the matter? I dont want a 302 from an explorer due to the automatic restriction, and speaking of which, would said 351w have the same restriction? I just thought about this as I was typing.. The cop car would be OBD II, so it would involve the same amount of work as a 302 from a 96+ explorer wouldnt it? I think I just answered my own question.. If not, let me know guys :D lol

Another option would be to sell the 302 and Cougar and get a 347 stroker (302 bored out to 347) the best of both worlds. They're not cheap but maybe with selling the other two you could find one for a decent deal.

I was planning on stroking the 302 originally, but only to 327/331. 347 life spans dont seem worth it to me, as the truck would be a daily driver as long as I can make it.

And yeah, the wiring for OBD2 and such is what I just thought of as I was writing that post... Now that I know Im gonna go with the 302, I just need to find some parts for it.. It needs a rebuild and such, nothing huge, but I figured I'd get new heads, intake, cam, stuff like that.. Just not sure what I want/need.. Anyone have any tips for making 250-300hp with decent torque without stroking? Or would it be cost effective to stroke it for the power?

Back