302/351 2wd conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302/351 2wd conversion

i know there have been a lot of threads already on this but if i remember correctly all of the conversions were done on 4wd vehicles. i am 2wd so would this make the conversion alot easier? also as far as price/difficulty how does the v8 conversion compare to getting a new 4.0? i just hit 300k today so i know that a new engine wont be that far down the raod. i would like to get a 351, but how much more difficult is this compared to 302? i really want all the power possible, cause i found out today that the little 4.0 just doesnt put out enough for me. but i dont want to spend a ridiculous amount of money either

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the 351 is quite a bit harder and I think with a 2wd you need stiffer springs in the front due to the increased weight. 4x4 springs are strong enough to handle the extra weight.
Pete

The real problem with the 351 is the size of the motor. It would require lots of fab work to clear the A/C heater bos and the steering shaft and master cylinder booster on the other side.

The 302 is an easier fit and will prduce 600+ HP with the right toys in it.

Keep in mind though, that my mostly stock 302 is gonna cost over 5K when it's done. But it will sound good!

A 351 Windsor block and 302

The block is almost identical in size. It's nearly the same block just larger cylinders. Weight however is not. The 351 is heavier, mainly because of larger pistons and heads. You would probably have to revamp your whole engine bay to make it fit. A 302 would be fine with some GT-40 heads and intake you would give Mustangs a run for their money. Will the components for the 4.0 be able to be used with the V8, I know a V6 radiator won't work.

The 351w is not the same block as the 302. The deck height is taller on the 351.. this makes the engine about 4" wider from outside of head to the other. it also makes it taller.. That is the reason you can't interchange the intakes.. the heads will work from 351 to 302 with mods..But will not work visversa.. I've got a beefed up 302 in my 77' long wheel based pick-up..And have built several in the past.. The 302 is a short stroke engine, it will give you fast RPM, but will lack in the torque department..I have no problem smoking the stock v8 mustangs and camaro's with the truck, but it's not a daily driver.Gas milage averages about 7mpg if I take it easy..The biggist problem with going big with horse power on a small block is they were not designed for it..You will break parts and you will spend time tweaking the engine..I've got about $1500 dollars in this last engine and did ALL the work myself..The $1500 does not include the parts a salvaged out of the last engine..So what was the question??

Dimensions:

Height Width Length

302 - 20.75" 18.75" 27.50"

351W - 23.75" 21.00" 27.50"

The 351W is a beefier block than the 302, but has the same bore spacing (4.38") and bore diameter (4.00"), so heads retrofit. A higher deck height requires a unique intake manifold. Main journals (3.00") are larger than the 302 (2.25"). Camshafts interchange . . . . (This is quoted from the FRPP catalog, page 112.)

You JUST found out your 4.0 wasnt powerful enough after300K?! I knew that after I got down the block:)

Back