• Register Today It's free!

302 thermostat housing leak

Entrixable

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer V8 XLT 4x4
anyone have any tricks to keep it sealed? i tried the gasket with the adhesive back with and without plane black rtv and two different housings, im gunna try with just "the right stuff" but im getting sick and tired of taking it off and putting it back on just to see it leak, im starting to think my lower is maybe warped.

edit: iv also tired using rtv to keep the thermostat in place with no luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the gasket with adhesive on the back, from Napa.

It worked great.

MT

didnt work for me, iv taken the thing off like 3 times so far and keep getting a small drip at the bottom of the housing, if "the right stuff" dosnt fix my issue im going to try the fel pro gasket, but im done for the day and ill try tomorrow..

Are you absolutely sure the mating surfaces are clean?

I always use some 80 grit sandpaper or the Dremel to clean and scuff up the mating surfaces.

MT

If in question, I like to take a file to the t-stat housing, hold it in a vise and cross-file it. If there are any low spots you'll see it immediately. The housing can get warped pretty easily if the bolts are over tightened. You can also place a piece of sand paper (80 grit seems a bit to coarse) on a flat surface and sand the housing until it's flat.

if you've got a leak at the housing, all the gasket goop in the world isn't going to fix your problem.

Possible it could be warped like mentioned. I just use the felt pro gasket and some Permatex water pump and thermostat rtv around it. Make sure the surface is clean, I had to lightly use sandpaper on both parts to make sure it had a smooth and clean mating surface.

I'll try the sand paper ( I'm thinking like 180-200 grit) and see if that cleans it better, Iv just used a brush and a small razor, maybe I'll lap the housing flat too and see if that helps. Will let you guys know how she's goes

Edit: I'd love to try the stuff just ment for waterpumps and thermostats but I don't think my napa had any, maybe Canadian tire will have some

I'll try the sand paper ( I'm thinking like 180-200 grit) and see if that cleans it better, Iv just used a brush and a small razor, maybe I'll lap the housing flat too and see if that helps. Will let you guys know how she's goes

Edit: I'd love to try the stuff just ment for waterpumps and thermostats but I don't think my napa had any, maybe Canadian tire will have some
I got it at Advance Auto, would think anybody that carries Permatex stuff would have it? Blue tube that says waterpump and thermostat rtv gasket sealant.

It's blue RTV. I don't care for it personally. I find it a bit like rubber cement. The last two thermostats I changed I just used a smear of clear silicon to water-proof the gasket. no leaks on either vehicle.

I used the Indian gasket sealer.

It's made by Permatex.

It just goes on with the included applicator, and between sanding the mating surfaces and using the sticky NAPA gasket to hold the tstat in place, it sealed the first try.

MT

lapped it flat, looking pretty good to me, ill put her on in the morning with the felpro gasket i bought and maybe some right stuff too
004_zpshylr5rx2.jpg

Good Luck
I hope it seals for you this time.

MT

Incase anyone was wondering, lapping her flat and using felpro gasket solved it, she's now leak free. Also I didn't apply rtv to hold the thermostat, I used an elastic band and bolt

Back