• Register Today It's free!

33s and 4.88s?

red.EDDIE.4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer 4x4
got a quick question, does anybody run 33s and 4.88s as a DD around here.
thats what im set up as and i was curious how much my speedo is now off?
also, what kind of mileage are you guys looking at?
i dont do highway and i usually keep it under 55 or so.

if its really bad, then do you recommend moving to a 35? thats what i was intending to do when i bought the 4.88s but i just love the new "get up and go" power it seems to have with this tire and gear combo. thanks a bunch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How far off your speedo is will really depend on what gears you had before with what tires and how far off it was then. Knowing that we can do some math and tell you how far off it is now.

Personally, I've been kicking between the 4.88 and 5.13 with 33's for a while. If I were to still drive 70-75 I'd go with the 4.88's. However, I don't drive the X > 65 so I'm really considering the 5.13's.

Just for comparison. 33's with 4.10 is like stock tires (235x75r15) with 3.73's. So, if you run 4.88's with the 33's you are getting more oomph which will help your around town mileage but may hurt your highway mileage depending on how fast you actually drive.

~Mark

I think you'll want 35s. I has 4.56s and thought I was geared too low for 33s.

well i started out on 3.73s. duno what tire size. but i actually really like the extra torque with 4.88s. and i never go highway so thats not a problem. i was just looking for some opinions or feedback. so far on my fuel economy i swapped for 4.88s exactly half way thru a tank. and now im at the end of the tank with in town driving and occasional AC and ive gone 230 miles according the the odometer.

Just figure you had 235/75/15s. That's what I had stock with 3.73s, and with 33s ans 4.56 my speedometer was perfectly accurate. So yours will show slightly faster than what you are actually going.

I was running 5.13's with 33's. I don't remember the exact speed difference, but I'm thinking 65 indicated was close to 55. I loved the power and being able to smoke the tires in high range :). I think the current owner said its getting 10-12 mpg when you do all the calculations.

i have the stock 4.10 with 33"s, i get about 20MPG on the highway (nice and flat with cruise on at 100KM, and about 14 city (easy on the pedal). truck also weights probably 1000LB more then a stock explorer with all the extra garbage i have in it. i also have changed ALL the fluids to better quality ones.

as for speed, under 80 its almost right on, but over 80, im doing ten over. so 90KM is actually 100km and so on. i use my GPS to calculate speed.

If you don't do a lot of highway, then go with the 4.88's and 33's. They will work good for 35's as well, but I wish I had gone with 5.13's for my 35's. With my rig and the 4.88's it's pretty close to stock rev's at highway speed. With 33's you're gonna be a little higher...

check out the gear calculator @ www.grimmjeeper.com and you can input all the info and it should give you a pretty close idea where you're at speedo wise.

As far as mileage goes... It doesn't really matter. It's an off-road rig. It sucks, end of story. I don't bother to check the mileage on my Ex. I mean, a hard day on a hard trail can burn a tank in 10 miles...that's crappy mileage...

I guess mine gets around 10 or so.

Back