35% tint on driver, passenger, and corner windows...pics? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

35% tint on driver, passenger, and corner windows...pics?

slums77

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Explorer Sport
Make: Ford
Model: Explorer Sport
Year: 1998
Engine: v6 SOHC (naturally aspirated)

Hello,

I wanted to tint my front driver and passenger window with 35% tint and get the little corner windows with 35% tint too. I wanted to keep the back windows and the very back window stock factory tint (does anybody know what % tint is on those?) anyways, I was wondering if anyone out there had pics of 35% tint or any pics with the plan i'm trying to go with?

Thanks!:yelexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

back ones should be around 20

Somebody did mine before I bought it and I like it..but I have no idea what the amount is.

Even my windshield is about the same.

explorer002_zpsf662717f.jpg

Makes my gray interior look green!

That looks perfect Dave. I'm looking into tinting mine as well. Can you tell if they went over the factory tint?

That looks perfect Dave. I'm looking into tinting mine as well. Can you tell if they went over the factory tint?

I have no idea.
I know I can see where the new tint doesn't go all the way to the top..lacks like a 1/8 inch...and I can feel the edge on the inside by rubbing my fingernail across it.
I guess it's stick on?
I know nothing about tinting ..is some sprayed on?
Anyways what little of the original glass that I can see it looks like it has some light tinting.

ok I went out and looked.
The drivers window says this...Carlite,tempered,as2...dot-78fm-m175.

With the rear seat side windows I can feel nothing and the tint is the complete window.
Diff numbers..as3..dot 75 fm m203..don't know if that helps.

ok I went out and looked.
The drivers window says this...Carlite,tempered,as2...dot-78fm-m175.

With the rear seat side windows I can feel nothing and the tint is the complete window.
Diff numbers..as3..dot 75 fm m203..don't know if that helps.

carlite is just the brand of the glass, they make glass for ford. The numbers i do not think have anything to do with your tint. they are just specs liek thickness and stuff and saying its dot approved... your rear windows i believe were only tinted from the factory which is why you can not feel it. AFTERMARKET tint like on your front windows is just a film that gets rolled and stuck on your glass like a sticker basically with soap and a squeegee to get out all the bubbles. the 1/8 inch gap on the top of your window was probably just a poor job. but it is hard to cut out a sticker and have it line up exactly with the window.
There is spray on tint that i believe gets sprayed on the outside of your window. but usually this is more of a cheaper alternative.
vht night shade is like a spray can that you can spray over windows and tail lights to give it a tint...

The factory window tint on the rear windows is 22%. I just got 20% on the driver/passenger and they match perfectly once you factor in light coming through the windshield

thanks Brandonbkd, have any of you guys used the do it yourself precut stuff off eBay?

I tinted mine myself lasted a good 6 months I'm takin it to the shop next week to have my fronts done by a pro mine are 5% check out my thread on here called. The X so far to see pics

Back