351/4R70w into '93 Range rover | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

351/4R70w into '93 Range rover

Next question is; Can I manually shift to ALL gears with the manuatronic function of the Quick4 while the shifter is in the 2 or 1 position on the shifter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bet there would be a conflict if the manual valve was in 1 or 2, and the shift solenoids were given a signal for another gear. It would throw a code for sure, but I bet the solenoids working out of the expected positions would be a noticeable malfunction.

I'm sure you really like that shifter you installed and it's great for everything except this issue. I think you are going to have to change the shifter again to gain the extra two positions.

Yes I'll be changing it. Added bonus is i don't have to finish the buffer circuit design I was working on so the ZF shifter could talk to the Quick4!

Well I've put it all back together and removed the cable from the shifter and using vice grips moved the end past D into 2 and it does indeed engine brake now. I haven't been able to push it down to 1 but that's because the shifter itself is in the way of the cable end. So it seems engine braking in Drive is only in 3rd and 4th, otherwise 2 and 1 need manual selection via the manual valve. Electronically selecting 1 or 2 with the physical shifter in D results in the gear being selected but no engine braking.
I wonder if Baumann Engineering know that? Kind of pointless having a paddle shifter function if it doesn't engine brake...maybe they only have drag racing in mind?
I'm wonder if Electronic command of gears above 1 or 2 will even work with the manual valve in either of those positions? I will test this after I adapt a different shifter. It's a real shame as that ZF shifter is excellent.

Got any shifter recommendations? 🤪

I don't recall what shifter type you have, I assume it's on the floor? The SN95 Mustangs would be the easiest to find here, those 94-04's all had 4R's in them(94/95 AODE is the same thing externally). The cable for those is long and routes back past the DTRS(shift lever attachment), turning and going to the lever from behind. So that cable would be long enough. I don't have any more knowledge of the shifter to help with. I have one myself to install into my 92 Lincoln soon.

I've got a ZF 6spd shifter from a late model Falcon. I'd put a picture up but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it without having it hosted elsewhere(and I've given up on that photobucketofshit).
Of course I could use any 3spd B&M type shifter but I've been there and done that before and I'm not impressed with their quality.
That Lokar stuff seems better but I'm not into chrome stuff and its certainly doesn't go in a '93 model year interior.

Like this...
fd4a6df0bf9d6fe21327b13fa93434f79fc95a7d.jpg

Back