351/4R70w into '93 Range rover | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

351/4R70w into '93 Range rover

I see, and hopefully Hughes will be helpful. It shouldn't be hard for them to source a VB, being sure it comes from a well running trans is all that matters really.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hughes reckon they will give me a great price on the Sonnax VB. They won't give me one for free which I find pretty disgusting since the trans has done probably less than 40,000km. They've started asking me questions over and over again and from two different guys which is giving me the *****.

Now they're asking me if it's got a '98-00 VB or a '01-08 VB? I said "why are you asking me something you should know!? You built it!?" So I suspect and '01-08 VB won't work in my '98 type trans?

That's not good for them to ask you questions about their trans. But the 01+ VB is a slightly better choice, slightly. The bigger factor is if it was from a car or truck, given they put a shift kit in. Sometimes a truck VB does not work well with a shift kit, and it depends on the kit brand and level etc.

I don't know what the latest model VB that will work, but I know it's to 2004 at least. The 4R75W is a very similar unit, only minor upgrades, and the VB may be completely compatible. I haven't been trying to find out about the 4R75W, since the case is unique.

You can tell if your VB is 2001 or later though, by whether it has a support plate(1/8 thick and round) over a certain accumulator area. Until 2001, there are three support plates(round) bolted to the VB plate. Evidently Ford did away with one of those in 2001, and I read on Sonnax about it ending up cracking the plate there. There is a $20 Sonnax part to add that back to any 2001+ VB.

I have a spare VB that I bought ages ago that was supposed to be a 2003ish car unit. I never used it or tried hard to find out what it really is from. I need to dig it out and check to see if it's at least a 2001 model.

I'll ask that dude in the trans section about it Don. Maybe he'll know which one I should choose? I asked Hughes to quote me on either VB and they can't even do that!? That other guy Pete that used to work there was a much more switched on guy. These new guys have a listening problem!?

Ah well. He said you have to use a VB from the year type the trans is. So supposedly a 98-00 version.

Oh well, be leery of what that kind of person tells you, when you know they are wrong. Did you happen to buy anything from Dale of DirtyDog performance etc? He knows the 4R's well, but I don't want to take advantage of him with questions from non customers. I wonder if the price range for a VB is reasonable, you might get one from him.

He gave me the impression that he couldn't be bothered sending a gearbox to Oz actually.

I think going to talk to Performance Automatic next.

Yeah, that's a tough extra problem, the shipping deal.

I don't know what's so tough about it. Hughes didn't have any trouble doing it. They just don't have a box worth shipping to anyone.

I don't know what's so tough about it. Hughes didn't have any trouble doing it. They just don't have a box worth shipping to anyone.
Well I meant tough for you the buyer. I've shipped some things overseas, and the customs paperwork was the only problem to deal with.

I'm hoping to dig into my 4R70W valve body and replace the solenoids/accumulators today. My "new" 98 truck is stock but with 160k miles, it needs some TLC to keep it going until I can do serious work to it. It has a soft 1/2 shift, and that worries me for constant work usage.

If you get things to a point where you want it to be done, and it still doesn't shift as you would love it to, the same basic things I'm doing could be enough help to improve it, or for any application. Any basic trans shop or person who is comfortable with VB work, could do this work.

Well I meant tough for you the buyer. I've shipped some things overseas, and the customs paperwork was the only problem to deal with.

I'm hoping to dig into my 4R70W valve body and replace the solenoids/accumulators today. My "new" 98 truck is stock but with 160k miles, it needs some TLC to keep it going until I can do serious work to it. It has a soft 1/2 shift, and that worries me for constant work usage.

If you get things to a point where you want it to be done, and it still doesn't shift as you would love it to, the same basic things I'm doing could be enough help to improve it, or for any application. Any basic trans shop or person who is comfortable with VB work, could do this work.

Hi Don,
Don't know why I stopped receiving notifications but, anyway, How goes it?
I've still got no engine braking with my 4R in 1 or 2. So I've pulled the VB to try to find out what the deal is?
Actually on that subject what is engine braking in 1 or 2 like with your Explorer?

Hi Pete, good to hear from you again. I got into my 4R back then as planned, but couldn't finish, so I had to skip the VB work. I drove that 98 until I had a water pump issue, and bought another 98 which is the same as my others.

My trucks when placed in the manual 1 or 2 position will provide some braking from higher speeds. I use the 2nd position regularly going up and down a hilly section of my route for about a mile each way. I like it better than 3rd gear, which has it shifting a few times going up.

You should be able to feel that the trans is in 1st and 2nd when the shift lever is placed in those positions.

If your transmission is functioning okay generally, I'd do the several VB upgrades and then see how it works. Maybe something among those parts is not right, and replacing the items with Sonnax stuff should help it over all.

You too man!
Yes I've discovered that Hughes used a Transgo shift kit but it seems not all of it. Was going to buy the Sonnax Zip kit but I have to be sure I can reverse all the Transgo mods before I do. Then I was gunna do the J-mod.
You can definitely feel the little down changes into 2 and 1 when your coming to a stop in drive though right? What does the Explorer have for a transfer? there's high and low range right?

Just found this old video. It appears to be the type of shift kit in mine as they don't drill any holes in the separator plate in this version... Mine also has the two holes they drilled in the worm holes near the Boost Valve but also an extra one not shown in this video on the top side of the Boost Valve worm hole area.

I think all TransGo kits will have some drilling, they are more extensive with things than other shift kits. I think everything Sonnax has is compatible with any VB kits, except for combining their higher pressure regulator valve and higher pressure spring.

Their Zip kit if not updated includes the stronger PR spring, and given their new Boost Valve kit(and that's not in it), it can be feasible to buy the individual kit part numbers. I found Rock Auto carries a small few of those Sonnax kits, and they were cheaper than most other sources.

If you read through the Sonnax kits available for the 4R, it's fairly easy to tell which are desirable, and how they help. I really want to get thise in one of my trucks, and try a mild level of the J'mod hole sizes, to see how that works in an old stock trans.

That Sonnax Boost valve kit is expensive, I think $65 was the cheapest I found one. But that would be a must have item to me, it helps off idle pressures and varies the improvements smoothly by throttle. I think that combined with a new replacement PR valve is a basic thing that should be done to any 4R that is not brand new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back