3D printed puddle lamp

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So for the puddle lamps on the mirrors, I wanted to replace it with LEDs. The housing is sealed so there was no way to replace the bulb without destroying the housing. I decided instead to 3D print a housing that will hold a feston dome light LED. Anyone else wanting to tackle this kind of project and those who have a 3D printer, I can probably send you my CAD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So for the puddle lamps on the mirrors, I wanted to replace it with LEDs. The housing is sealed so there was no way to replace the bulb without destroying the housing. I decided instead to 3D print a housing that will hold a feston dome light LED. I made the model to hold a dome light LED. I think it's called a Feston Dome Light? However, I notice the original housing uses a fuse bulb. Is there any difference between a fuse bulb and a Feston dome in terms of voltages and amperage? By the way, anyone else wanting to tackle this kind of project and those who have a 3D printer, I can probably send you my CAD.

They should all be 12V. With LED unless you're going with high power then there's usually no current draw concern.

What kind of plastic are you going to use? LEDs don't usually get as hot as incandescent bulbs unless they are high wattage. It would be interesting to see this project from start to finish. Did you scan the original part to get the dimensions? What kind of 3D printer do you have? Most of them at the current time are only capable of printing in one or two colors.

So for the puddle lamps on the mirrors, I wanted to replace it with LEDs. The housing is sealed so there was no way to replace the bulb without destroying the housing...........
There are members who have successfully replaced the puddle lamps with LED lamps. It can be done.

Peter

There is a post here with pics using also a Dremel I believe...:navajo:

What kind of plastic are you going to use? LEDs don't usually get as hot as incandescent bulbs unless they are high wattage. It would be interesting to see this project from start to finish. Did you scan the original part to get the dimensions? What kind of 3D printer do you have? Most of them at the current time are only capable of printing in one or two colors.

What I did was use AutoDesk Inventor to CAD the part. I measured with a very small tape measure in millimeters. I can make a quick video to demonstrate it. I just have to wait for the LEDs to get here so I can finish them up.

As for the color, I used a translucent material and it appears to be a frosted and has a little hint of blue so a super white light appears to go from 6000k to 6500k when I tested it.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

Here is the link to the images:
http://postimg.org/gallery/1gxvbxma/2ed9bdf8/

Makerbot Replicator 2. I used Autodesk Inventor and then exported the file as an STL file. I then opened the file with Makerbot Makerware and then I resized the model and exported it on an SD card and put the setting on high resolution x3g file. Plugged it in and it printed it.

I had a little trouble with the little clip breaking off during 3D printing so I decided to edit my CAD and print the little clip separately and then used a soldering and soldered them on. I think if I had edited my CAD to not include the little indents on the clip like the OEM part had, I wouldn't have had that problem. I'll post pics once my LEDs arrive. Possibly even a video from beginning to end.

I am hoping it would be brighter with these 3D printed models and I am hoping it'd be easier to replace the LED when I have to. I'll try the dremel method Peter suggested and them compare the two housings and see which one allows for more light to pass through.

You guys should check out daytimebrightlites.com. Seems like they have puddle lights and instructions on how to change them in 5 minutes. I reached out to Dan and was sent instructions and a couple of videos which seems like its too easy in comparison to the dremmeling I'v heard other guys have done.

I have to call him later today, but more eyes and more questions to verify the merrier.

Back