• Register Today It's free!

3M Clear Bra Questions

kars85

Reaction score
City, State
Ames, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I'll be getting my '20 ST in one of these next couple days, and want to get a paint protection solution put on.

Being in Iowa - I don't have a ton of choices of installers, but one nearby (<1 hr) quoted $900 for the whole vehicle that 3M provides cutouts for.

If I wanted to do just the front, it would be a trivial savings of just a $100 or so bucks. Does that sound like an appropriate quote? They said they'd need the vehicle for 2 days - does that sound about right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe I've heard of anyone doing the whole vehicle with a "clear bra" treatment.

Peter

I don't believe I've heard of anyone doing the whole vehicle with a "clear bra" treatment.

Peter
I had my 2019 Audi completely covered in a clear bra from another company and loved it, I also had the car ceramic coated to include the wheels and brake calipers. All of the protection made it easy to clean without dragging out a hose to wash the vehicle and looked beautiful. Keep in mind any imperfections in the paint can be magnified which is why I also had a paint correction done prior to clear bra and ceramic. Another thing is that if you do have something damage the clear bra, that piece that is damaged will need to be replaced as most clear bra material cannot be repaired if it is damaged. Google no rinse car wash if you are wondering how I washed the car without more than a couple of gallons of water. Best of luck to you.

Peter
Right - the whole vehicle that 3M gives installers the cut outs for. No doubt there’s no such thing as literally the whole vehicle. 🤣Alternatively, at a minimum, I wanted front bumper coverage, but that was going to be 9/10ths the price of doing all that 3M offers for our Ex’s.

I did the front of my 2016 Platinum and when we traded up to the 2020 the vehicle still looked brand new. They did the headlights the full hood and fenders. They also put the clearbra across the top of the windshield, covered the rear bumper and did the door handles. Not cheap, about $1,800. The application was custom cut, not out of a box so unless you knew it you would never discover the application was there. Unfortunately these folks are only located in Utah and Nevada but the trip might be worth it if you're really serious about the application.
Here's their website. Even if you don't use them it will give you and idea of what is possible.

Peter
Many have the whole vehicle done (except windows). It is a $4,000+ job on average and I've seen prices up to $6,000. You are talking bumpers, hood, sides, roof, trunk, all fenders.. everything wrapped and tucked so edges are even protected.

I'll be getting my '20 ST in one of these next couple days, and want to get a paint protection solution put on.

Being in Iowa - I don't have a ton of choices of installers, but one nearby (<1 hr) quoted $900 for the whole vehicle that 3M provides cutouts for.

If I wanted to do just the front, it would be a trivial savings of just a $100 or so bucks. Does that sound like an appropriate quote? They said they'd need the vehicle for 2 days - does that sound about right?

$900 for the whole vehicle? No way it is the whole vehicle OR it is crap quality.

I had xpel done on mine, whole front bumper, whole hood, partial fenders, headlights and Sideview mirrors. It is all you really need. That was around $1,700 if I recall. I have the breakdown posted on here somewhere.

You can also see pics here, post 65, 67 and 71.

$900 for the whole vehicle? No way it is the whole vehicle OR it is crap quality.

I had xpel done on mine, whole front bumper, whole hood, partial fenders, headlights and Sideview mirrors. It is all you really need. That was around $1,700 if I recall. I have the breakdown posted on here somewhere.

You can also see pics here, post 65, 67 and 71.

@blwnsmoke - that $900 was for what you itemized. Your pics look great - plan on making an appointment to get it in soon.

Many have the whole vehicle done (except windows). It is a $4,000+ job on average and I've seen prices up to $6,000. You are talking bumpers, hood, sides, roof, trunk, all fenders.. everything wrapped and tucked so edges are even protected.
For that price, I'd wait and see if the vehicle needed repainting years down the road. (forgot to click Post reply button yesterday ;) )

Peter

For that price, I'd wait and see if the vehicle needed repainting years down the road. (forgot to click Post reply button yesterday ;) )

Peter
Peter, I'd agree except I don't believe anyone on this forum is sensible when it comes to taking care of their rides. Otherwise we'd all be driving old utility vehicles to work. Nothing is too much for our rides...well almost.

When I blew $1,800 bucks to keep the bugs and rocks off my 16 Platinum it didn't occur to me that I might be trading up. Trade wise the ClearBra didn't get me anything. The new owner got a car without a single chip and it looked brand new.

A note in it's favor; the Platinum was super easy to keep clean and the bugs just didn't stick. Care wise, all that was required was an occasional wipe down with a plastic spray cleaner to keep it slick as ice.

I had the x-pel ultimate 'highway pkg' installed on ours [hood, mirrors, lights, bumper, quarter panels]. Also had them ceramic it.

I paid a bit more than Blwnsmoke but I also do live in the NY metro area and these guys were the lowest and had the highest ratings around.

Well worth it...

I'll give a negative review on the clear bra and advise against it for most vehicles. I bought a new Toyota SUV in 2003. I paid to have a clear bra put on the front and the mirrors. I still have the truck and that clearbra is an eyesore and will be difficult to remove. And when I remove it, it's nearly certainly going to be a different color underneath. The clearbra faded and turned dirty looking and has a million ugly cracks in it.

I won't do that again. It would be smarter to wash it religiously so dirt and bugs don't "cement" and then just save the money and every few years just have the paint fixed.

There‘s some more information about paint protection on the ST owners forum, if you’re interested: Who plans on adding paint protection film?

I'll give a negative review on the clear bra and advise against it for most vehicles. I bought a new Toyota SUV in 2003. I paid to have a clear bra put on the front and the mirrors. I still have the truck and that clearbra is an eyesore and will be difficult to remove. And when I remove it, it's nearly certainly going to be a different color underneath. The clearbra faded and turned dirty looking and has a million ugly cracks in it.

I won't do that again. It would be smarter to wash it religiously so dirt and bugs don't "cement" and then just save the money and every few years just have the paint fixed.

Films have come a long way from 18 years ago. High quality films today do not yellow from the sun. And when you do the full hood and bumper, you will never notice anything because there is no line where it stops.

The biggest advice to give is buy a quality product and have a reputable place put it on.

That $900 quote really concerns me on the quality of the film and workmanship.

As blwnsmoke said - clear bra has come a long way since 2003.

A clear bra is the best investment you can make if you drive your vehicle regularly, drive on the highway frequently, or live in an area where there's lots of blowing sand. After living in New Mexico for 5 years, you wouldn't believe the amount of used cars that I looked at where the leading edges of the cars were all sandblasted...the clear coat gone, and the paint faded. ESPECIALLY the headlights being all glazed over.

When I lived in Alaska, there were rocks all over the road from the long winters and them sanding and spreading rocks on the ice and snow to gain traction. When that all melted away and dried up, it was an absolute nightmare for paint, headlights, and windshields. Having clear bra on up there was a godsend if you wanted to protect your brand new car's paint...as we know is super thin anymore.

I agree with the $900/whole car sentiment. There's no way you're getting a whole car wrapped under a grand. I'm assuming the shop told you wrong, or you're assuming that it meant the ENTIRE vehicle.

As blwnsmoke said - clear bra has come a long way since 2003.

A clear bra is the best investment you can make if you drive your vehicle regularly, drive on the highway frequently, or live in an area where there's lots of blowing sand. After living in New Mexico for 5 years, you wouldn't believe the amount of used cars that I looked at where the leading edges of the cars were all sandblasted...the clear coat gone, and the paint faded. ESPECIALLY the headlights being all glazed over.

When I lived in Alaska, there were rocks all over the road from the long winters and them sanding and spreading rocks on the ice and snow to gain traction. When that all melted away and dried up, it was an absolute nightmare for paint, headlights, and windshields. Having clear bra on up there was a godsend if you wanted to protect your brand new car's paint...as we know is super thin anymore.

I agree with the $900/whole car sentiment. There's no way you're getting a whole car wrapped under a grand. I'm assuming the shop told you wrong, or you're assuming that it meant the ENTIRE vehicle.

I believe he corrected himself by saying his quite covered what mine did (full bumper, full hood, mirrors, headlights and partial quarters. That said, thats still way too cheap. Heck, the hood alone was almost $900 for the entire thing to be done instead of a partial hood.

I believe he corrected himself by saying his quite covered what mine did (full bumper, full hood, mirrors, headlights and partial quarters. That said, thats still way too cheap. Heck, the hood alone was almost $900 for the entire thing to be done instead of a partial hood.

I'll be sure and clarify - but for certain, the entire car is NOT what's getting wrapped.

Just the components you mentioned, but I'm not sure if it's partial hood, full hood, or no hood at all. I'll be sure I'm comfortable with what I'm getting for the $900ish I was quoted over the phone.

This is the installer I'm going with. Nothing in my specific town of 60k people that install any clear bra, so my options are somewhat limited.

I'll be sure and clarify - but for certain, the entire car is NOT what's getting wrapped.

Just the components you mentioned, but I'm not sure if it's partial hood, full hood, or no hood at all. I'll be sure I'm comfortable with what I'm getting for the $900ish I was quoted over the phone.

This is the installer I'm going with. Nothing in my specific town of 60k people that install any clear bra, so my options are somewhat limited.

Check this out.. same city/town as the person above. Not saying you have to go Xpel but it wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd or 3rd quote for the same services especially apples to apples coverage.

I will say that when I had mine done, the only piece that was available as a precut was the bumper. The hood, headlights, fenders and mirrors were not available yet so it was truly custom. However he didn't uncharge for custom work. When doing the hood and fenders, make sure this is wrapped around the edges and tucked, not a piece that just lays on the top and stops at the edges.

And lastly, everyone has a budget so obviously go with what you can afford. Just make sure as we said, you understand exactly what you are getting for the money so you can compare properly.

Back