3rd FMT dealer visit since 2/25 purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd FMT dealer visit since 2/25 purchase

ercole

Reaction score
City, State
Verona, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Hopefully Seni is online and reading this message.

My Ex 2011 Ltd is going in for a 3rd time because of the continuing navigation "SD Card Fault" error and saying to insert the Nav card when it's already in there properly. It was just working fine. Sometimes it loads, other times it says its card is missing. And other times it craps out if playing the ipod via the USB port after 15 - 20 minutes or so. Doink doink from sync, it's like Law and Order in my truck.

Truck came with Gen2 - v.2.4 installed on 2/11/11 and the Nav error happened on day one. 1st trip, dealer ordered new SD card. Still happens. 2nd trip, dealer reflash Gen2 - v2.4 again. Phone contacts and station presets all intact, nothing lost (thought re-flash would have wiped everything clean). 3rd trip Friday. I am loaded with information culled from this fine site and syncmyride forum (letter dated January 7, 2011 re: 10B20 program and a message from this forum that the latest version is Gen2 - v2.7). Do I say "do this" and they look at me like "don't tell us what to do?"

I don't think these guys at the dealer have a clue. Really. What do I say that they respond "that's right, you are correct". Or maybe I'm wrong, but they aren't coming back with solutions. Seni, you come across here as pretty honest and above board, what's the procedure now? I just don't want to come back each week, though they do make a pretty decent cup of coffee.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you have a previous thread, wouldn't it be nice to keep things all in one place?

I do find one thing odd for your situation. No data lost in reflashing. I mentioned that in your other thread.

I find one thing in general odd. Some of us have a virtually flawless MFT, and some have a plethora of issues.

ours did that one time - while on the road - pulled into the Ford dealership - couldn't get anyone to help us, started the car back up, and it said "downloading updates" and poof - it worked. We said a prayer and went on our way :)

ercole,

I’m sorry I didn’t see your thread before. Have you still had issues with your SYNC since your last visit to the dealership? If so, please send me a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name, then I can assist by escalating the concern for you.

Cory

Once I got re-flashed to v2.8, everything was smooth sailing. Now the dreaded "Navigation SD Card Fault" is back. Worse, it hasn't come back to life after almost a week now (some have said they came out to their truck the next day and all appeared to be okay). The USB ports do not work when you plug anything into them. MFT says "device not detected". This current situation is different from earlier experiences as the radio, phone and climate control all appear to be unaffected and working fine.

Going in to the dealer Friday.

My question to you is could it be the sd/USB module in the compartment that's bad and has nothing to do with MFT? Has anyone ever had that item replaced? That's not the AIPM people are discussing, is it? I've had the problem since purchase and that's what I'm beginning to think. Car otherwise is great. Fortunately, I have a good sense of direction. Unfortunately, I miss my playlist on my ipod.

Once I got re-flashed to v2.8, everything was smooth sailing. Now the dreaded "Navigation SD Card Fault" is back. Worse, it hasn't come back to life after almost a week now (some have said they came out to their truck the next day and all appeared to be okay). The USB ports do not work when you plug anything into them. MFT says "device not detected". This current situation is different from earlier experiences as the radio, phone and climate control all appear to be unaffected and working fine.

My question to you is could it be the sd/USB module in the compartment that's bad and has nothing to do with MFT? Has anyone ever had that item replaced? That's not the AIPM people are discussing, is it? I've had the problem since purchase and that's what I'm beginning to think. Car otherwise is great. Fortunately, I have a good sense of direction. Unfortunately, I miss my playlist on my ipod.

My guess is you just need a new usb / sd card port.

I received your private message detailing the issues and I will reply as soon I can.

Cory

Just wanted to follow up regarding my situation discussed above in case there may be others out there experiencing something similar.

The dealer kept the vehicle for 2 days as they were stumped as to why the "Navigation SD Card Fault" message continued to stay on and never reset. Honestly, the MFT after the v2.8 reflash has been working great. I boot up all systems go in 15 seconds or less (phone=Motorola Krave, no issues).

I had mentioned, along with another poster here, that I truely believed that the entertainment hub (as they refer to it as) was fried. The dealer was told by Ford to reflash v.2.8 all over again. That didn't make any sense to me since I thought it worked fine. No change. Then Ford told the dealer to disconnect the battery, so this is obviously a Ford approved procedure. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't actually see it on the work order. No change. After the second day Ford relented and suggested replacing the entertainment hub. Works like a charm.

I had thought that at one point it was my dealer, but they seem like stand-up guys. I went for an oil change and he asked me why. He said it was old school and I'll see you when your reminder light comes on. Probably saved me, what, $40. He easily could have said "sure, let's do it" and taken the cash.

Back