2nd Row Power Point - How to Access? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Row Power Point - How to Access?

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Okay, my 2006 XLT console has a 12V power point below the HVAC ducts between the seats for the 2nd row passengers to use. However the cap has broken off, leaving a always-ON open 12V socket available for curious fingers and such. Today I removed the center console rear cupholders, and the console lid and was able to access the 2 - 7mm bolts that hold the rear console panel in place. It pops off easily -- to a point. It seems that Ford's engineers left a curious length of slack electrical cord for this power point, say on the order of 2mm or so. Yea, SHORT!!!

In other words, I found no way to get my fingers underneath and disconnect the socket so I could pull out this rear panel to remove the power point and replace the socket cover to keep fingers and stuff out.

Anybody know of a better way? Do I have to remove the whole center console?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the entire console out on mine once, not that bad. you dont need to take the cupholders off, just take that chrome bezel ring off, and the trim panel with the front cupholders off, remove both inside kick panels which are held in by a plastic push-pin. then remove those two rear bolts, slide both seats all the way back and take both middle bolts out, and then there are two more on the front that you access from the top. there will be one grey electrical connector to disconnect.

Cripes, thanks! Of course if they'd just left another 6" or so of slack in the electrical wiring harness, none of that would be needed. I foresee a mod in the future.

So I should only need to pull one side panel to gain access to that wiring harness, correct? Which side is better?

you mean the kick panels with the plastic retainer?

you mean the kick panels with the plastic retainer?

Aren't those (kick panels) up in the front footwell?

I mean the side panels on the center console to get access under to reach the connector which is behind the front seats near the floor.

I was talking these:

you will need to take both sides off before you remove the 6 retaining bolts.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 157

Back