3rd Gen transmission and rear axle problems w/V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen transmission and rear axle problems w/V8?

bb37

Reaction score
City, State
Central Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Expedition 5.4 4WD
I've read many places about the transmission and rear axle (final drive) problems on the 3rd gen Explorers. I owned an 03 XLT V6, but sold it after two years with 46k. Never had a transmission problem, though the rear axle center section was replaced (under warranty) because of the infamous whine that wouldn't go away.

I'm looking again at 3rd gen Explorers and thinking about a V8. Do the 3rd gen V8's use the same transmission as the V6's? Do they have the same issues? How about the rear axle?

It looks like that by the 2005 model year, the transmision problems were mostly resolved. Is that the case? Are the 4th gens using the same transmission and are they also having problems?

Thanks!

I've read many places about the transmission and rear axle (final drive) problems on the 3rd gen Explorers. I owned an 03 XLT V6, but sold it after two years with 46k. Never had a transmission problem, though the rear axle center section was replaced (under warranty) because of the infamous whine that wouldn't go away.

I'm looking again at 3rd gen Explorers and thinking about a V8. Do the 3rd gen V8's use the same transmission as the V6's? Do they have the same issues? How about the rear axle?

It looks like that by the 2005 model year, the transmision problems were mostly resolved. Is that the case? Are the 4th gens using the same transmission and are they also having problems?

Thanks!

V6 and V8 both use the 5r55 series of transmissions. The rear end in the V8 is the same as the V6 and therefore has the same issues.

2005 model year is the best yaer for 3rd gens as most of the trans and rear end issues were worked out. The V6 4th gen uses the 5r55 while the V8 uses a 6spd. There have been some issues reported about the 2006 V8's transmission, but none that are nearly as bad/common as the 5r55.

If you can afford to get a 4th gen, i'd do it. The 3v 4.6L produces almost 60hp more then the 2v 4.6L in the 3rd gens.

Well, I'll keep that in mind. I'm not crazy about the 4th gens because of the transmission shifter being in the console. I may have to get over that. ;)

Back