• Register Today It's free!

3rd row headrest 2013 XLT

crrobbins

Reaction score
City, State
Stanford, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
New to forum. Just found an issue with 3rd row seat headrests. They are in folded down position and I cannot get them to lock in up position. Purchased Explorer used with about 40000 miles on it. Is there a trick to it or do I have broken headrests. Third row seats will be seldom used, so headrests will be down 99% of time. But would like them to work. Thanks for any help.

crrobbins

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the manual seats, check the long "pull strap" on the back of the seat. Pull it loose from the Velcro and let it hang loose then see if the headrest will stay up.
If not, they may have been tampered with.

Checked straps. Already loose. Tried pulling on straps and then releasing them. Will not stay up. May have to contact local Ford dealership. Thanks for reply.

crrobbins

Checked straps. Already loose. Tried pulling on straps and then releasing them. Will not stay up. May have to contact local Ford dealership. Thanks for reply.

crrobbins

Hi crrobbins,

A trip to the dealership is a great next step. If you'd rather not make a special trip for this, you can always mention it the next time you're there for an oil change. Let us know what you find out. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Found that for some reason both headrests are broken. The part of mechanism that latches them in upright position are both broken. Warranty expired so will have to replace both entire headrest assemblies myself, if I want them to work properly or completely remove headrests. Online search says about $150 each.

crrobbins

If they were not functional when you bought the vehicle then I would think that the repair should be done with no charge to you. In my opinion, headrests are a 'safety' feature and as such should have been part of a safety check prior to the selling of the Explorer.

Peter

With both broken and not having seen a previous post on it makes me wonder if they were tampered with.

Try a salvage yard, there has to be a totaled EX out there with the same interior.

Sounds like "somebody" didn't know how to work them and probably broke them and left them like that for the next owner.

Purchased XLT at a Chrysler dealership. Returned and told salesman and manager about headrests. They assured me that they would repair them free of charge. Left vehicle with them. They provided me with a loaner, without me requesting one. Called them a couple days later and they informed me that both headrests would have to be replaced. Cost of approximately $900 at their store. Said they can get them replaced cheaper through Ford dealership. Two weeks for delivery. Got XLT back and returned loaner. They will call when parts come in. Still at their expense. I can live with that. Surprised at costs and them doing free repairs. Do not think they thought repairs would be that high.

crrobbins

Fordparts.com shows a headrest mechanism (cloth) $267.30.

Peter

After taking XLT back to dealer I did some searches on web and found them for about $125.00 each. Used part number supplied from FordParts. A little more expensive on E-Bay. Since dealer is making repairs I quit searching. This Chrysler dealer has been one of the most pleasurable car dealers I have ever dealt with. Had a couple issues that they took care of quickly. Looking for repeat business, I guess.

crrobbins

Sorry for not posting earlier about broken headrest repairs. Dealer did replace both headrests, no charge and did supply me with loaner car while doing repairs. It took almost two months of dragging their feet, but finally got repaired. Both old headrest mechanisms were broken.

crrobbins

Back