ACO

Reaction score
City, State
River Vale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Sport EquipGroup401A
Callsign
DangerZone
I would like to remove the headrest from the middle in the backseat. I have tried pushing tabs in but the headrest does not come out all the way. Is there some special trick to removing the headrest without damaging the headrest or the seat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a similar thread from the 6th gen forum. Second Row Head Rest Removal
I'm guessing you read page 145 of the Manual and are referring to the 2nd row. The back seat to me is the 3rd row. It says there is a removal button but I believe the 6th mentioned the same.

Peter

I did read my manual (no, really...) when I got this car back in Dec, but it (and the manual) is at the shop this week. My 3rd row is flipped down and tucked away so to me, I only have front & back seats! LOL I actually did a search in this group for "backseat headrest" and didn't find what I'm looking for, but I'll check out the other thread for info, thanks!

I read the other thread and found manual online. Both talk about pressing the buttons in and pulling the headrest off. I did that, but the headrest never freed itself, no matter how hard I pressed the buttons or how hard hubby pulled the headrest up. I was hoping there was some trick that I would find out about by posting here... I'll try AGAIN when I get the car back next week.

Ford Explorer backseat removal instructions .jpg

Regardless of what the Manual says, it looks like the only way to remove the headrests is to take the seat back apart. Here is a post from that 6th gen thread I linked; Second Row Head Rest Removal

Peter

Back