4.0/5R55E into 1st Generation Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0/5R55E into 1st Generation Ranger?

kymadan

Reaction score
City, State
Eustis, Fla
Year, Model & Trim Level
'87 4x4 Ranger
I might be able to get a 4.0/5R55E transmission from a rolled 2wd 2001 Ford Explorer with less than 70,000. I would like to get this and put it in my 4x4 1986 Ranger with a fuel injected 2.9/A4LD (No A/C) and a BW 1350 transfer case.... What would I have to do to get it into the Ranger? I would like to keep the transfer case in the stock location.

I know the wiring harness will have to be swapped and spliced/altered etc...
Will the 2.9 motor mounts work for mounting the 4.0 without alteration, or would I need an adapter?
Will my BW1350 transfer case bolt up to the tranny?
Will my stock transmission mounts work?
Will I have to move the transfer case? I really do not want to modify the driveshafts.
How about the shifting linkage? The Explorer has a column shift, Ranger has floor shifter. Is that a fab part?
Should I grab the rear even though it was rolled?

What will I need off of the donor? (I do not need the A/C, and the 2.9 is fuel injected so I already have the fuel pumps)

I found this on trs....

* Be sure you take a picture of the underhood setup before you pull it out!!*

Before you select your donor vehicle, you need to know what parts you are going to need which are listed here:

4.0 Engine, complete with all accessories
Throttle cable and cruise control cable/assembly (if desired)
air tube with air filter housing, and Mass Air Flow Sensor
complete wiring harness from under the hood
ECM Computer
wiring harness from A/C Fan
A/C Lines (If A/C is desired)
A/C Condenser (If A/C is desired)
A/C Compressor (Required)
Transmission (Ideally)
Radiator
Motor Mounts (although while it is out is a good time to buy new ones)
Exhaust Crossover Pipe
Catalytic Converter(S)
Fuel Lines
Sending unit/fuel pump assembly (if current motor is carbureted)
Power Distribution box
Charcoal Canister
Inertia Switch
EDIS Module

Quote from Wikipedia....

"The C3 was modified into the A4LD four-speed by adding an overdrive gear, which the C3 lacked. This transmission was introduced with the 1985 Bronco II and Ranger, again with four- and six-cylinder engines only. It was replaced by the 4R44E and 4R55E in 1995."

"The 4R44E was an updated version of the A4LD with full electronic control, introducing duty-controlled TCC lockup. Introduced in 1995, it was used in four-cylinder Rangers."

"The 4R55E was a stronger version of the 4R44E, again with full electronic control. It was used in 4.0 L six-cylinder versions of the Ranger and Explorer."

"The 5R55E, though mechanically identical to the 4-speed 4R55E, was a five-speed transmission, the first produced by an American maker. The ability to produce five forward gears is by improved software control. The 5R55E introduced adaptive shift control and sophisticated friction to friction shift ability. The 5R55E introduced Directional high energy frictions and eliminated all but one thrust washer with high-capacity thrust bearings. It was designed for the high-torque 4.0 L SOHC and 4.0 L OHV Cologne SOHC V6."

I am still trying to find the dimensions of the 5R55E, all I have found is that the casing was changed to add a sensor, but nothing as far as length. Is it the same length as the A4LD? Are the mounts in the same place?

Sorry about all of the questions!

I found that my transfer case will bolt up to the tranny.

I know that the motor fits right onto the 2.9 motor mounts.

I know everything I am going to take from the explorer.

However, I do not know if the tranny will bolt into the A4LD location... I still need the length. Hopefully it is the same as the A4LD, or pretty close.

The 2wd 5R55E transmission will not work in my 4x4 ranger unless I rebuild it with the 4x4 output shaft.

Could I get the computer from a manual Ranger or Explorer with a 4.0 SOHC and put the A4Ld from a 92 to 94 Explorer?

Back