4.0 95 Motor how long do they last? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 95 Motor how long do they last?

compdoc777

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EB, 98 EB, 01 Exped EB
I have the 4.0 motor in my 95 V6 not single over head cam. What is the average max miles you can get from the motor?

I have over 200K on mine now, but don't know if it's going to die suddenly. I have a headgasket going out that I want to replace, but not sure if I should just replace the whole motor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can keep fresh oil in it, it will last 300,000 miles+. It is a reliable engine.

If you replace the head gasket, chances are the internals of the engine will last quite a bit longer, unless they've worn more than normal because of coolant in the oil.

Rhett said:
If you can keep fresh oil in it, it will last 300,000 miles+. It is a reliable engine.

If you replace the head gasket, chances are the internals of the engine will last quite a bit longer, unless they've worn more than normal because of coolant in the oil.

No coolant in the oil as of yet. I think it leaks into the piston area, but not enough to cause failure. Just drop outs little jerks here and there, but it's getting worse over the past 20K even though I used a sealer in the cooling system to try and fix it.

Would an oil analasys tell me what's up with the motor? Where to get one of those?

Search google (and this site, too) for Blackstone Labs and also for Oil Analyzers, Inc.

I have been using Blackstone--I like the way they write their reports. They will tell you in plain english what they think is going on in your engine.

If you want more info on OHV's and engine wear, search this site for the terms "OHV" and "pushrods". You'll get some hits...

I have 170000 plus and it is still running very strong...
no leaks and engine spotless Not that that matters much but very strong still...

Engines don't just die, they will have signs of wear or failure. Unless you try & do something dumb with the engine. The 4.0L as well as the other various blocks of the same design are the strong point in the X.

Just keep it well maintained..

Back