• Register Today It's free!

4.0 issues... need help!

Oliver Grey

Reaction score
City, State
Reno, NEVADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hello all, so let’s get straight to the point. My 2005 Explorer is dead.

I was driving down the road and noticed an unusual amount of shaking in the steering wheel, nothing too crazy just something I kind of took note of. Then It got a little worse a few miles later, so I shut it off and stareted it up was doing the same thing. Then I got on the highway and a mile down the highway my check engine light started flashing at me. So I Pulled over at the next off ramp turned her off and started it again, this time it had a hard time cranking over but it successfully did, the idle was worse then before and the engine was shaking severely. So I turned it off and decided I needed to tow it home. I ran the codes and I am getting codes for

Cylinder 1 misfire
bank 1 running to lean

So I tried cranking it over at the house with the plug pulled to see if I’m getting spark. The motor seems to be stalled, I can’t even get it to crank even a half turn. It wants to crank but it seems like something is jamming it.
So I jump the battery assuming it may be too dead to crank the motor, it cranks over twice and stalls again. I did have spark.
I continued jumping the battery for another 10 minutes while I reassembled the spark plug and put the air box back on. When to crank it over and nothing again just the little half crank sound and it stops. I don’t know what this could be, I’m very puzzled.

2005 Explorer
Just did an oil change 600 miles ago
Mobile 1 oil
And it’s been maintained very well from what I could tell when I bought it.

Just start throwing ideas at me I have nowhere to even go from here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My worst fear.... I will probably pull the front timing cover plate this earning.... think I bent some valves? I’ve heard mixed messages on this being non interference and not effecting the valves

Oh boy. Timing chain and possibly bent valves. You can check for bent valves by pulling the valve covers. Any cam lobe pointing up check the rocker / cam follower. If you can move it a lot the valve is bent. This is 100% an interference engine

130k is early for timing guide and chain issues.
I thought Ford designed their engines to last at least 150k with no issues.
Especially if it's been maintained well like you said.

There is a lot of great info on this forum on timing chain replacement You can search it. Or engine replacement. As Tech By Trade stated there are probably pieces of chain guide laying in the pan.

Yep. Same thing happened to the 96 Im building. just quit going down the road. Belonged to my best friend and we got it to the house, pulled off the front cover, and, KA-BLEWY! Plastic pieces everywhere. Bent 2 valves, and the truck has been sitting since 2016. but not much longer.

Good luck I hope you get better news but its not looking good.

I pulled the valve covers an intake manifold and looked at the cams, all the rockers look in good condition and the cams look very well-maintained. Whoever owned this before me took Good care of both body and engine, doesn’t look like they ever missed an oil change. the timing chains seem to have great tension but I did find that there was a ton of fuel in the intake ports/manifold. also the vacuum line that runs from the fuel pressure sensor to the EGR was soaked in fuel. I took a look inside cylinder #3 and there was a lot of fuel in there. I’m gonna pull the rest of the plugs and take a look to see what else I can find. Leaning more twords a fuel injector issue at this point.

I pulled the valve covers an intake manifold and looked at the cams, all the rockers look in good condition and the cams look very well-maintained. Whoever owned this before me took Good care of both body and engine, doesn’t look like they ever missed an oil change. the timing chains seem to have great tension but I did find that there was a ton of fuel in the intake ports/manifold. also the vacuum line that runs from the fuel pressure sensor to the EGR was soaked in fuel. I took a look inside cylinder #3 and there was a lot of fuel in there. I’m gonna pull the rest of the plugs and take a look to see what else I can find. Leaning more twords a fuel injector issue at this point.
EXCELLENT. Fuel pressure regulator feeding fuel back into the vacuum system. That’s where I would start. Can wreak havoc if the vacuum lines are sucking fuel from a failed regulator/sensor

Just an update for anyone concernd, I’ve ordered All new injectors and a new fuel pressure sensor/regulator. I also purchased all new plugs and I’m going to be replacing both the front and rear tensioners wel all new injectors and a new fuel pressure sensor/regulator. I also purchased all new plugs and I’m going to be replacing both the front and rear tensioners while the intake and valve covers are off. Does anyone know how often the tensional should be replaced?

I have read timing chain tensioners should be replaced at 75,000 miles. I have 75,000 miles on my 2010 Mountaineer 4.0 that is dead quiet. I have no intention of replacing them. For now if it's not broken i will leave them in.

75000 - 80000 is the rule I have always gone by. the 97 i just got has 153000 on it and its not making a sound either. Trouble is it sneaks up on you. as a preventative measure Id do it at least at 100000.

Agree with you Mutineer at 100,000 miles. Makes me nervous just thinking about it. It's not like changing a fan belt or and oil change or plugs. For tensioners i will go with factory Motorcraft. This is one area NOT to purchase for price :dpchug:

Agree with you Mutineer at 100,000 miles. Makes me nervous just thinking about it. It's not like changing a fan belt or and oil change or plugs. For tensioners i will go with factory Motorcraft. This is one area NOT to purchase for price :dpchug:
Absolutely. Got a set of timing chains from Napa for a EcoBoost engine and the the timing marks (dark links)were a tooth off( on this engine that matters, no lining up dots here...lol) went took that thing apart and back together 3 times verifying everything before we figured it out. Went to Ford for an extra 150 bucks and it was right the first time. No substitution for the RIGHT part, especially when it is such an involved process to replace it.

Absolutely. Got a set of timing chains from Napa for a EcoBoost engine and the the timing marks (dark links)were a tooth off( on this engine that matters, no lining up dots here...lol) went took that thing apart and back together 3 times verifying everything before we figured it out. Went to Ford for an extra 150 bucks and it was right the first time. No substitution for the RIGHT part, especially when it is such an involved process to replace it.
I had a 1997 Ford Explorer 4.0 Automatic 4x4 like your project. Outstanding vehicle. Put just under 300,000 miles on it and never touched the engine-trans-transfer case or the diff. Sold it because the body was falling apart (road salt). they drive it for another 2 years (would not pass inspection) Just shows Ford can get it right. Good luck on your 97 project.

Back