• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV cold air intake.

Nocturnall

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
I've been looking at all the different intakes and posts on the cold air intakes for the 4.0 OHV and I would really rather not spend the $200 for one. So I took measured things under the hood and have been thinking up an intake made out of 3 inch PVC. I would think this would flow better then the stock intake and keep the air colder due to the thickness of the plastic compared to the metal on the aftermarket intakes.

Secondly I've been thinking of taking the stock maf sensor out of it's housing and mounting it (Still thinking up this part) to the pvc. I wasn't sure if this would allow more air to flow through or not over the stock maf.

Lastly if I was going to mount the maf sensor into the pvc I've been thinking of maybe having 4 inch pvc from the end of the radiator to the filter, so the maf sensor would be in 4 inch plastic instead of 3, don't know how this would affect my ride.... Figured I'd see what everyone had to say about it...which I would imagine will be along the lines of "Stop being cheap buy an intake" but I don't wanna, I like thinking this crap up and building it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unless i'm wrong, the waf measures atmosferic pressure. so it don't matter how big the tube is.

Why would I pay $80.50 for something that I could build for $20. Building materials are so much cheaper here then in Nova Scotia. I installed an outside light on my inlaws house for the, absolute cheapest setup was $30. Nothing special, turn it on by switch. I installed one here for less then $20 with a motion sensor and 2 high output bulbs. It would take me an hr to build the intake and cost so much less...

Vinnie I thought it measured air flow, not pressure inside the tube? I'm probably wrong though. Also I was reading how the maf heats to 1000celcius or something to self clean whenever you shut the car off and I wasn't sure if that was accurate and if so I imagine that would melt the plastic so I'd have to think something else up.

does it work, if so i would like u to post the step by step. keep thinking.

I used the stock pipe and just removed the end of the filter cover and fitted a cone filter. In order to stop the cone filter sucking hot air, I took a plastic bucket and fitted it flush with the plastic mounting for the MAF. I then trimmed the bucket down to the angle of the inside fender side wall where the hole is for the air intake I then fitted the cone filter onto the rubber lip where the original filter sat. A 76mm cone filter from Simota is what I used. Fitted perfectly.

I aim to take some foam and cut a mould of the area and cast a fibreglass cowling for the filter to seal up that area better, but in the meantime I have had a small improvement on low down pulling and throttle responsiveness.

The stock pipe is tapered and therefore (based on my limited understanding) has a ram tube effect. Thats why I kept it. I still need to fit a slim 90 degree tube inside the last bend into the throttle body to smoothen out the flow around the bend. I will prbably cut the bend out and fit a piece of silicone tube with an equalising ring to remove edges in the pipe.

Also, the throttle body mod should see some more improvement. I am going to do that this weekend.

That is sweet can u take a few pics of it and how much have u spent on it. and time

Increasing MAF sensor enclosure diameter

. . .
Secondly I've been thinking of taking the stock maf sensor out of it's housing and mounting it (Still thinking up this part) to the pvc. I wasn't sure if this would allow more air to flow through or not over the stock maf.

Lastly if I was going to mount the maf sensor into the pvc I've been thinking of maybe having 4 inch pvc from the end of the radiator to the filter, so the maf sensor would be in 4 inch plastic instead of 3, don't know how this would affect my ride.... Figured I'd see what everyone had to say about it...which I would imagine will be along the lines of "Stop being cheap buy an intake" but I don't wanna, I like thinking this crap up and building it...

The MAF sensor measures the mass of airflow thru the intake system. It's output is used by the PCM to compute engine load which is critical to determining fuel mixture. If you increase the diameter of the MAF sensor element housing, the speed of the airflow will decrease because the cross sectional area will increase. The PCM will decide there is less load on the engine and your mixture will be lean when in closed loop. You will have less power because of the lean mixture.

Yes, do not move the MAF sensor to a new housing.

I got a sweet mandrel bent chrome one from eBay for $50. Has a nice filter all hoses & clamps & grommets for the hoses. Definitely worth it!

photo.php

That is sweet can u take a few pics of it and how much have u spent on it. and time

I will take some pics on the weekend and post them. I considered many options and started looking a ways to make a MAS flange etc... but it ended up really simply with the bucket and the filter. And that took about 30-45min once I had the filter and bucket in hand.

All I really still need to do is improve the support of the housing and permanently keep it off from lying on the radiator cowling.

All I really still need to do is improve the support of the housing and permanently keep it off from lying on the radiator cowling.

I recommend just letting it lay on the rad cowling that is how my CAI is.. then I just put a little bracket from the rad to the MAF to give it a little extra support.

i bought an intake off ebay for 30 bucks. my ex is a 2003 4.0 it works well. the only stupid thing is it whisles at sum rpms. it makes it sound like it has a turbo.

i bought an intake off ebay for 30 bucks. my ex is a 2003 4.0 it works well. the only stupid thing is it whisles at sum rpms. it makes it sound like it has a turbo.

I think I got the same one.. I kinda like the whistle everyone asks if its turbo charged to. hahaha.

I also just bought an adapter that lets me use my stock inlet pipe and MAF and mount a cone filter on the end.

Sounds great. Don't know about power improvement though. Keep in mind though that "warm air intakes" like mine should actually improve fuel economy, even if it does not improve horsepower.

Cold Air Intake question:

I recently purchased a 1994 Explorer, and wanted to put a cold air intake on it. I bought a kit from Spectre that I feel will do the job. However, I removed all the old air box, and I guess what was the MAF sensor near the original air box? I don't have to pass emisions, so is is recomended to instal the MAF that I removed with the Spectre kit? The old set up just seemed to poor with its two ducts one from the exhaust, one from the front of the car? Also, it was extremely dirty, like I would guess 25K plus on the air filter? If its is best, I can remount the stuff I took out, just wanted your opinions.
Thanks for the direction.

Back