98 XLT OHV Cold Air Intake

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
So, gas prices here in Utah are at $3.10. I think its time for the added fuel economy from a Cold Air Intake. And lets get some more horses on this too. 155HP is not quite enough, but whats the best cold air intake to get? MAC gives me 10.9 more horses, and K&N only gives me 3. MAC is cheaper by $100, but I don't know of any other air intakes. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DO what I did, go to o'reily and build one. Or you could go to home depot and use a K&N filter.

Illl post this here, but its informative.

"CAIs are all the same, you can make one out of PVC pipe, and you get the Same affect as K&N over priced crap. I had a 3" FWI i made on my GTP, and I loved it, $30 verses $200+..Its VERY easy to make and it performs just the same.

Just thought Id Add A little In site..Dont spend money on somthing you can do your self and get the same results.

OH, and i drove in Rain, puddles, Snow. everything...it was fine. Mind u it was in my finder, but water still splashed up there."

The stock tube on your truck is smooth on the inside. It also is the same diamiter as the throttle bodie so you can remove the silencer on the bottom of the air box and add some holes to it and drop in a K&N filter and have just as good of results as a hot air intake

The stock tube on your truck is smooth on the inside. It also is the same diamiter as the throttle bodie so you can remove the silencer on the bottom of the air box and add some holes to it and drop in a K&N filter and have just as good of results as a hot air intake

What filter do i need to buy? And what about a heat shield? I personally would prefer the look, and sound of the stainless steel one.

u can use the Autozone filter, get at least a 4" diameter its like 40 dollars, as for a heat shield, u can either A. mod the stock air box, B. use Plexiglas or C. try and use some Thermoplastic Roof Flashing. of coarse u could always try wizair as well. its pretty cool looking, but u'd at best only be able to copy it, its for a 3800 GM motor, but just check it out, look at what its made out of, and copy it for use in your Explorer.. shouldn't be to hard. Kind of falls under the same lines as using Plexiglas

Thermoplastic Roof Flashing, is better if its in the fender.

Back