4.0 OHV Engine Trans removal

jterry211

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Hello All,

First time posting here, but have learned quite a bit from this forum.

My 4.0 OHV engine and 5R55E trans are both on there last leg (280,000 miles) and want to remove and rebuild both. My question is can you remove both of them together or do you have to separate them first. I would prefer to remove together as i don't have a lift nor much (competent) help.

Thanks,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can remove the engine with the trans connected Im pretty sure. Why are you fixing a tru k with almost a quarter million miles? Buy a new one at that price.

I have a 2004 F-150 also. I have had this explorer for a long time and it has been good to me and the body is in perfect shape. I can rebuild the engine and trans myself so it wont cost that much. Just a couple rebuild kits and some machining probably around 2k at most. Almost everything else is new. I was just wondering if there was something keeping it from coming out together.

I have a 2004 F-150 also. I have had this explorer for a long time and it has been good to me and the body is in perfect shape. I can rebuild the engine and trans myself so it wont cost that much. Just a couple rebuild kits and some machining probably around 2k at most. Almost everything else is new. I was just wondering if there was something keeping it from coming out together.
That will be tons cheaper if you DIY. I'd be too chicken to rebuild an engine, or tranny. Swapping it is hard enough!

I guess what you need to do to find out the answer to your question is try it out yourself and post the results here. It will help others in the mere future.

I thought they would have to be separated, engine is removed from the top, trans from below - right?

2WD or 4WD?

4WD remove the T-case, and front grill / radiator support for a nice clean removal with trans attached.

Personally, I would separate them, and drop the trans from below since the exhaust is coming off anyways.

Well im going to attempt to get everything disconnected this weekend and hopefully remove it all next weekend will take pics of the process and post. I have removed a few older Ford engines and transmissions together but this one seems a lil tighter. Wish me luck. ;)

I have done it but its not worth it! You will make a huge mess and break alot ,plus you will have to keep taking off parts as you keep getting caught on stuff, the Rad core support is welded on , in the long run its faster and easyer to bring the tranny out the bottom first while on stands then set it back down and pull the motor, been there done that,

^^^listen to this guy he knows what hes talking about. Bite the bullet and rip that stupid trans out first save you the trouble!

Back