4.0 ohv staring problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv staring problems

Reaction score
City, State
Comerio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls 4wd
Any one with the 4.0 OHV engine? Searched but found nothing.
I'm having trouble with the engine staring first time I turn on the ignition it cranks and does start the second time I triedy it starts fine the engine idles fine and runs fine it's just having trouble starting when cold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell you the truth I don't know I bought he used.. Going to swap sparks next week. Thanks

factory plugs and a good set of wires, do not get the cheap wire set from auto parts store, they do NOT LAST!!
Try priming the fuel pump a couple of times before you first bump the key, see if that helps it start more quickly.
If it does it may be a weak fuel pump = check fuel rail pressure so we can rule that out.

Check your IAC valve too; it could be fouled or have a bad gasket.

How many miles? What year?

UP DATE: put on a gasket on the IAC stillba lil hesitant to start but not as bad as before its much better next are the plugs.... Thanks everyone for the help.

Sounds like you're making some headway. I kinda doubt the IAC has anything to do with starting the car--by definition it's not a factor until the engine has started and is trying to regulate the idle. Plugs and wires could help.

I asked about miles because every time I've had a weak start it turned out to be the fuel pump. 120k is a bit low to immediately suspect the pump, but it's worth testing the fuel pressure at first start.

Or if you want to do an easy test: turn the key to start, but don't start the car. Just let the fuel pump prime the line. Repeat once or twice more to build up fuel pressure, and THEN start the car. If it starts right up, I'd be suspicious that the fuel pump is on its way out.

Sounds like you're making some headway. I kinda doubt the IAC has anything to do with starting the car--by definition it's not a factor until the engine has started and is trying to regulate the idle. Plugs and wires could help.

I asked about miles because every time I've had a weak start it turned out to be the fuel pump. 120k is a bit low to immediately suspect the pump, but it's worth testing the fuel pressure at first start.

Or if you want to do an easy test: turn the key to start, but don't start the car. Just let the fuel pump prime the line. Repeat once or twice more to build up fuel pressure, and THEN start the car. If it starts right up, I'd be suspicious that the fuel pump is on its way out.
I tried priming the pump and still had the problem ether way going to test the fuel pressure. I have a suspicion it has a cheap fuel pump. I bought the Ex used and was tould she had a new pump... I hope its just spark plugs or some thing simple cuz lowing that tank is going to be a pain lol.

lowering the tank is not that bad, its actually pretty easy in a Gen II Explorer

Update... I disconnected the MAF sensor.... It didn't cut off so most probably I have a bad MAF... Funny thing never had a check engine light. Plus I can't scan it anyways I plug in ny scan tool and it doesn't connect.

Back