4.0 OHV vs SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV vs SOHC

Are there any opinions on the ease of towing with the SOHC powered truck over the OHV engine? My 97 OHV is a little weak on the hills pulling our camper (a little under 2K lb) and I've been thinking of finding something else. I know that the V8 is hands down the strongest engine but the SOHC is easier to find and does get a little better mileage. Just trying to decide if I would really be any better off with another V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

The early SOHC motors had timing chain issues so go at least 2003-2004 or newer. My SOHC pulls pretty decent but I'd still prefer the good old 5.0L V8!

Horsepower

It simply boils down to horsepower:

4.0 OHV 160 hp

4.0 SOHC 210 hp

It simply boils down to horsepower:

4.0 OHV 160 hp

4.0 SOHC 210 hp

actually it boils down to torque

4.0 OHV 225

4.0 SOHC 250

and the real winner
5.0 OHV 288

If your going to tow with a 2nd gen I would look for a v8 to do it with. The gas mileage difference is all but non existent, it all comes down to how you drive it.

I think he has a sport

no 5.0 for him

Back when I had my V8 Mountaineer, it got 18 mpg no matter what- city or interstate. Now with my SOHC, my overall average is like 16.something. I never towed with the V8 (didn't even have a hitch) but my SOHC tows my camper here in the thin mountain air in CO fairly well. My camper probably weighs a little more than 2,000 lbs loaded.

If only...

Back when I had my V8 Mountaineer, it got 18 mpg no matter what- city or interstate. Now with my SOHC, my overall average is like 16.something. I never towed with the V8 (didn't even have a hitch) but my SOHC tows my camper here in the thin mountain air in CO fairly well. My camper probably weighs a little more than 2,000 lbs loaded.

:eek: I wish i could get 16 for once. My average which includes mixed terrain, is no more than 15 with the 98 SOHC 4.0!

Back