4.0 SOHC cooling system puzzler... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC cooling system puzzler...

Thanks to all who've posted, just since this morning. What a great group! First, I'm surprised to read that Dorman would rank so low in brand preference, but I've really only bought stuff like wiper linkage clips, door latch rod clips, door handles and vacuum hose adapters with their name on the package. And the Motorcraft lower is WAY affordable on the Rock. Forewarned = forearmed.
Numero Two-oh, NO WAY do I want to do this any more often than absolutely necessary! I get pretty excited about some strange stuff, according to some folks, but this ain't some of it!
Number C, thanks for the reminder, acrx7. I HAVE forgotten to dial in the heat when doing cooling system work in the summer before. I could forget in the winter, too, but me and the truck are outside. In winter. And I don't like the cold.
Finally, swshawaii, BTDT I get. But FTW? All I can think of is ____ The World and For The Win. Educate me, please!
Again, I am more grateful than I can express for everyone's help. I like being part of a group that is about helping each other, rather than beating one another down. For now, once the wife gets back to work (arthroscopic shoulder surgery this morning), we'll start putting the truck back together. 'Til then, I'll be vicariously enjoying everyone else's "Explorations"! Soon - Chris:usa::exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just had another idea - could a guy bob the sleeves off on the RH144 lower housing to keep from having to drill or push the bushings out of the old-style upper? Seems like less potential for causing damage to critical parts, but this is just speculation without having a new lower in my hand. Thoughts? Experience? TIA - Chris:usa::exp:

Yes OP, "For the Win" is what I was implying. Honestly, I dislike a lot of the jargon and slang on the net, and also feel many acronyms are lame and make no sense. In my opinion (aka IMO ;)) aftermarket parts are the way to go, especially for suspension, brakes, and sensors. For specific engine parts there almost always seems to be fitment issues with Dorman products. There are exceptions such as 4.6 intake manifolds, driveshaft parts, etc. From post #31 , you sound uncertain about the source of the leak. More often than not it is the lower housing body splitting apart. A fail safe test would be renting a cooling system pressure test kit with a refundable deposit from most larger auto parts stores. Avoid over thinking this, once you confirm the source of the leak use the proven replacement OEM parts and be done with it.

There is also an aftermarket aluminum housing kit if you don't mind spending $180. :eek: (See later posts)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362922

Hey, swshawaii. Was figuring/hoping it was For The Win, based on context! Was a little uncertain until I got the housing off the intake and saw the crust between the two, particularly RIGHT where the o-ring sits. We have a cooling system pressure tester at work, but no adapter to fit the microscopic radiator neck. Cool idea about the aluminum housing. I had thought about running the same idea past the machinist we just hired, but I bet the prototype development would run WAY more than $180! I really wish Dorman had a better reputation for their whole product line, but again, the Motorcraft lower is quite affordable. And from the Rock, everything plus all three hoses that connect to the thermostat housing assembly comes to less than $120, shipped. Total package of name-brand trouble-free, such a deal. I SO don't want to come back here anytime soon! Removing the upper intake half and moving the crankshaft position sensor wiring harness is the pits.

Finally got all the parts in, except for the retainer clips. Tried the paper clip idea, but my skills with fabricating stuff from office supplies is lacking. And, yes, it is possible to cut the exposed portion of the bushings off the lower housing. It made me nervous and felt a little wrong, cutting up a brand new part. Plus it takes a little time - you don't want to get the metal hot enough to deform the plastic, and you have to be careful not to leave any of the bushings sticking above the mating surface. But everything sits together properly afterward. Just need to obtain the correct sender retainer clips now.

Thanks again, 'hawaii. Got the Dorman parts from my FLAPS, and ready to wrap this project up. Hopefully, my last question is this; do these clips go around the closed-off portion of the area where the slots are, as I suspect, rather than through the slots?

Looks like success, at last. After parking the truck in a left-front-corner-high orientation and letting it idle and burp for some 45 minutes, the temp gauge never got more than 1/3 of the way up. Even during the test drive, the gauge stayed right below the midpoint. I'm letting it cool and then I'll check the coolant level, but I'm certain it's good. Before, it wouldn't hold pressure or vacuum while it cooled (cracks in the thermostat housing and a leaking o-ring), but it is now. Thanks to all for the input and intel. Until the next crisis, - Chris:usa::exp:

Back