• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Muffler Delete ???

Katmandu

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I've done the "muffler delete" on a couple Crown Vic P71s (Police Interceptors) I've owned before with excellent results. I both cases, I left the Cats intact and simply replaced the restrictive mufflers with straight pipe. Both cars where NOT much louder than stock and DID exhibit a very noticeable SOTP increase in performance AND fuel mileage!

I'm wondering what the results would be if this was done on a 4.0 SOHC Explorer. Although in the EX's case, it would result in a true dual exhaust.

Anyone done this yet ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of anyone doing it on an Explorer with that particular set up. I don't think it'll sound good, but who knows. Give it a try.

-Drew

Is there a serious difference between doing this and running a strait-through type muffler?

Skibum1989 said:
Is there a serious difference between doing this and running a strait-through type muffler?
Yea. For one....the COST factor. Straight pipe is a helluvalot cheaper than a muffler.

Like I said above, I've done the muffler delete on a 93 and a 97 Crown Vic Police Interceptors. The Cats where left in place and only the mufflers where replaced with straight pipe.

The sound was only a "tad" louder at WOT, but there was a most notable increase in performance. Fuel mileage also increased slightly.

I'll get with my Exhaust Man soon and see if this is feasible.

Gonna be a few weeks.... I have a business trip next week and most likely gonna get deployed for the Hurricane Relief effort.

I'll post results when (if) I do the "muffler delete". :thumbsup:

I'm all for the mufflers. I think the explorer would loose some much needed low end torque. My buddy went with straight pipes on his Mach 1 and I can tell a big loss in low end.

BeauJ said:
I'm all for the mufflers. I think the explorer would loose some much needed low end torque. My buddy went with straight pipes on his Mach 1 and I can tell a big loss in low end.

Flowmaster on my OHV killed its low end. I could only imagine straight pipes. And the sound it would make :fart:

BeauJ said:

Tell your buddy to go with a Borla Stinger cat back system....absolutely friggin' awesome!!! Sounds great and keeps the low end power if you also add a CAI.

Back