4.0 SOHC Sticky Gas Pedal

bikeboy

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 2DR. Sport 4WD
Just another 'fresh' F.Y.I.
I had my intake tube off a month or so ago to replace my upper thermostat housing...(it was warped), on a seperate thread!

Nonetheless, at that time did the gas pedal fix as well. It is very easy to repair. The throttle body butterfly shaft gets a nasty "gooey" black buildup on both ends, and allows the brass butterfly to stick in it. It will be most noticeable after the truck has sat for a while and allowed the butterfly to sort of 'relax' in the build-up.

The fix: simply spray some Gumout carb-cleaner or similar automotive spray cleaner, onto the butterfly and shaft...obviously with the engine OFF. Then wipe thouroughly clean and dry with a non-dusting, non-shedding towel. While wiping clean the surface area in the throttle body, open the butterfly and wipe all around inside until the black 'Goo' is gone. That's it!

Replace your intake tube and you're done. No more sticky "unsafe" feeling gas pedal!

Cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a recall on the early throttle bodies due to stickiness. Mine was replaced in '98 or so. I vaguely remember that the new ones had a special coating and were not to be cleaned? Might not apply to your '99. I had my intake apart a few weeks ago and I resisted the urge to clean the grunge off the butterfly area - mine's not currently sticking, or I might have done it anyway.

BK

i have a sticky gas pedal.. how do itell if mine has been replaced? i have a 98 x xlt 4.0l sohc. thanks guys if its been replaced then it needs a real good cleaning which may happen real soon. is there a link or does somene have model numbers of the recalled ones? and where do i find the numbers on the unit? thanks again

There's also a small adjustment screw on the throttle body that is supposed to stop the throttle from closing too tightly. I had to adjust it on mine to eliminate the sticky throttle situation since cleaning the gunk out didn't quite do the trick. However, you only need to adjust it a small amount, otherwise you will open the throttle plate a bit. I've had to do this to several '07-'08 Escapes as well.

hworksinc is absolutely right!!!

Arggh! I forgot to mention the adjustment screw? :mad:

Yes...I did tweek that screw a tiny bit as well. Shame on me!

Bikeboy

Back