Sticky Gas Pedal | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Sticky Gas Pedal

cgolden

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus. OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
Hey guys do any of you know what would cause my gas pedal to be a bit sticky when I first step on the gas. Its been like this for at least 5 years and 140,000 miles (since Ive had the car), I once asked about it at the dealer bacuse I thought I read about the throtle body beling recled but never realy got into it. They told me they couldnt find a recall.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Zmuzic

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EDDIE BAUER
Hey guys do any of you know what would cause my gas pedal to be a bit sticky when I first step on the gas. Its been like this for at least 5 years and 140,000 miles (since Ive had the car), I once asked about it at the dealer bacuse I thought I read about the throtle body beling recled but never realy got into it. They told me they couldnt find a recall.

Thanks

I have the same problem. I read a thread on here where someone talked about removing the throttle body and cleaning it and the problem went away.

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Just remove the pipe from the air cleaner, and very carefully clean the soot from the intake...even push the butterfly valve up and run your shop rag as far as you can reach with a finger...but don't let go of the butterfly...you'll get an owie! Seems to work for me. Ford recommends NOT using solvents or carb cleaners in there...hurts the intake coating.

scaperrotta06

Reaction score
City, State
tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb
sticky pedal

That's exactly what I did. Just reach in there with a shop rag. I used brake clean, but it doe's say dont wipe out the coating. I figured iIt wasn't working any way. It really helped my application.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Use throttle body cleaner for that, and MAF meters.

I think that they all stick slightly, I have gotten used to mine. Good luck,

daffy

Reaction score
City, State
Peoria, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Would Seafoam deep creep be good for that? Or would it remove the protective coatings?

bigtigga84

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
im not sure if this could be your problem but here i go anyway. was having throttle issues, now figured it out to vaccume leak in intake tube i think(it stopped doing it)and thought it may have something to do with the tb. sprayed cleaner in it and this guy that was living in the same complex i was made the comment that there was a lot of slack in my throttle cable.so it was decided to back the set screw that the throttle rests against when your accelerating or cruising out. the pedal felt like it was sticking but it was because of backing that screw out so the throttle didn't rest on it. took the tb off, cleaned it properly and adjusted the screw back to where the throttle was just barely sitting on the screw, but in it, and it's been fine ever since. did the paper towel thing to get ride of the rest of the slack. dunno if that helps, if not, don't mess with the screw.....lol

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
im not sure if this could be your problem but here i go anyway. was having throttle issues, now figured it out to vaccume leak in intake tube i think(it stopped doing it)and thought it may have something to do with the tb. sprayed cleaner in it and this guy that was living in the same complex i was made the comment that there was a lot of slack in my throttle cable.so it was decided to back the set screw that the throttle rests against when your accelerating or cruising out. the pedal felt like it was sticking but it was because of backing that screw out so the throttle didn't rest on it. took the tb off, cleaned it properly and adjusted the screw back to where the throttle was just barely sitting on the screw, but in it, and it's been fine ever since. did the paper towel thing to get ride of the rest of the slack. dunno if that helps, if not, don't mess with the screw.....lol

I don't know if you want to mess with that screw as I thought it was like a baseline for the idle, and then the IAC did the rest. And if you messed with that screw it could throw your idle way off, high idle or really low idle.

Dan

bigtigga84

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
didn't throw it off when i backed it out or when i screwed it in the little bit. the reason i was messing with the tb in the first place was the idle did jump up like a mad man on steroids. but i guess cleaning it and spraying lube on it straightened it out, it stopped. i was just offering an idea, i wouldn't suggest messing with the screw. doing it that way wasn't my idea in the first place, that's why i adjusted it back

pservecc

Reaction score
City, State
Townsend, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4x4
If you have the 4.0L SOHC and it sticks closed when the engine is cold, then there was a recall for it in 99 called Service Program 99M02. My 98 had that problem from the day it was new, but has been perfect since they fixed it (in 1999). The extended coverage was only for 6 years, so I don't know what they would do for you now. My understanding is that they just replace the throttle body with an updated part.