4.0L 4WD 5spd swap - details

Zguy

Reaction score
City, State
Central Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4WD
Hi,
I'm a V6 Mustang guy but anyways, i want to convert this auto 4wd to a manual. What can i reuse, do i just get a 4.0 5spd manual trans and use the transfer case? What other parts would i need? I heard some sort of trans extension housing???

Any details would be helpful. :thumbsup:

Try searching all the info is out there. Your best bet is to find an identical 92 that has a 5 speed junked & swap over the parts. You will need things like the 5 speed ECU, wiring, flywheel, little trim pieces, that extension housing things like that. It's nto really hard to do if you can find a doner. When my auto dies I'm swapping in a 5 speed.

More questions

Can i use a 5speed from any late-model 4.0L Ranger or explorer? And which years have the M5HD? Can i re-use the t-case i have on the auto now?

You can use a 4.0L 5 speed from any year X, & Ranger. T-case is the same from a 91-94 only. The M5HD was only made maybe 1 or 2 years in 98 or so & are very rare to find. You just need to keep a 91-92 ECU for a 5 speed. The 93-94 had some changes that aren't on yours so their ECU's will have some probelms working right unless you modded them.

Back