4.0L SOHC - repair or replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC - repair or replace?

weshag

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Ok, front timing chain tensioner went bad on my 2003 4.0L SOHC at 186,000 miles.

I have already taken apart half the engine so I am closer to pulling it than putting it back together.

Do I repair it and put it back together and hope the rear doesn't fail soon or do I get a new motor and keep driving it for the next 10 years?

If I get a new engine does anyone have recommendations?

Everything about the car is still reasonably good and it drives well.

Go to advance auto they can get you a Spartan remanufactured with a good warranty. Alternatively you could source from a recycler for much less money and much less warranty.

With 186,000 miles on the original motor, get a new one.

If I get a new engine does anyone have recommendations?

Everything about the car is still reasonably good and it drives well.

I have a Ford "remanufactured" 4.0L engine and back in Oct 2013 the engine price was approx. $3200 (engine only) and I had a warranty cover the majority of my repair costs back then. My repair was done at a Ford dealership and total cost with labor and extra work I had done, was $5280, tax included. Ford's reman engines come with a full 3 year, parts and labor warranty with unlimited mileage. Ford's engines come with a new water pump, harmonic balancer, t-stat and housing, valve covers, spark plugs etc and all gaskets and seals as well as all new internal engine parts. You will have to transfer over your old pulleys and intake manifold to the new engine. I recommend installing a new "Starter motor" at this time if your old one is old. Good luck!

Back