• Register Today It's free!

4.0L SOHC Timing Chain

xaviervp

Reaction score
City, State
Miami FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I tried search for answer with no luck so im posting.

2000 4.0L SOHC im want to purchase the timing chain kit but i find there are two kits one for 4WD and another for 2WD.

the engine is the same on both? correct?

the difference would be in drive train/transmission/transfer case

why are there two different kits cant seam to insert images so
here are the part numbers from Cloyes.com

9-0398S for 4WD
9-0398SA for RWD

the one for the 4WD brings an additional tensioner, small chain and guide

is there really a difference between the RWD and 4WD engine wise?

any comments?

Thanks
Xavier

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might be a little info in this sticky. not sure, never really read it myself.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227038

Thanks
I have read almost every thread related to the timing chain saga but no mention of what i found and for the money it costs i don't want to order
the wrong one.
I also need to find out a list of all the gaskets and any additional parts i might neet which should or need to be replaced during this teardown.

Thanks again

Xavier

balance shaft

I tried search for answer with no luck so im posting.

2000 4.0L SOHC im want to purchase the timing chain kit but i find there are two kits one for 4WD and another for 2WD.

the engine is the same on both? correct?

the difference would be in drive train/transmission/transfer case

why are there two different kits cant seam to insert images so
here are the part numbers from Cloyes.com

9-0398S for 4WD
9-0398SA for RWD

the one for the 4WD brings an additional tensioner, small chain and guide

is there really a difference between the RWD and 4WD engine wise?

any comments?

Thanks
Xavier

The 4WD has a balance shaft in the engine. The RWD does not. Do a forum search on "balance shaft" for more information than you probably want. According to a Cloyes engineer I corresponded with their kit includes guides made by the same manufacturer that are included in Ford's kits.

The 4WD has a balance shaft in the engine. The RWD does not. Do a forum search on "balance shaft" for more information than you probably want. According to a Cloyes engineer I corresponded with their kit includes guides made by the same manufacturer that are included in Ford's kits.

Hi

Still kinda confusing if its the same engine a 4.0L SOHC how can one have the balance shaft the other not

I have the Ford shop manual and could not find anything telling me one has it the other does not.

Thanks
Xavier

balance shaft photos

The upper half of the balance shaft sprocket is at the lower left in the photo below.
Exp019.jpg

It is rotated by a chain connected to the crankshaft.

The photo below by janolsson of an inverted engine with the block cradle removed shows the balance shaft with its tensioner and plastic guide.
Balancer%20tensioner.jpg

The 2WD engine shown in the photo below has no balance shaft.
PrimTens.jpg

I looked at changing mine as a self install. I ended up having it professionaly done. There are some special tools needed to locate the camshafts. There are no keys or dowels to locate the cam to sprocket as with other engines I have worked on. There were other factors time being one of them, but look into the ability to get the cam/crank timing down.

Back