4.0L to 5.4L 4v Navigator swap. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0L to 5.4L 4v Navigator swap.

I am in the middle of a similar project. I am going from a 4.0 SOHC, to a 4.6 SOHC. absolutely everything is different! PCM's, connectors to the PCM ( Ford used 3 different kinds), transmissions as you are aware, depending on fuel injectors the connectors, and the position of the exhaust and manifold exits. I found that it was easier to get around the steering problem with just buying the rack and pinion for a V8 Explorer. It moves the steering connector over and changes the angle enough to clear the exhaust manifold. It has been a mess for me so far, but I am getting there. Lots of bugs had to be worked out. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stalled, waiting to buy stuff until after Christmas. Kids and wife want presents and whatnot. I will post any news as it comes.

I would appreciate it thanks!
The next summer I will attempt to install a 5.4L 2v with manual transmission in my explorer sport and I want to collect all possible information.

I'm in IL (where you bought your engine and how much you paid for it)

I bought it from craigslist for $275. I was going to just do a single turbo to the 4.0, or a aviator swap, but for the money, I could not pass it up.

Well, sad as it is to say, I gave up on this project. I had the chance to sell the long block back as a core for $1500, and I kept everything that was bolted to it. I still plan on some sort of swap, I would like to find an Aviator 4.6l 32v or maybe back to turbo planning. Thanks for all of the help everyone, I am grateful.

Well, sad as it is to say, I gave up on this project. I had the chance to sell the long block back as a core for $1500, and I kept everything that was bolted to it. I still plan on some sort of swap, I would like to find an Aviator 4.6l 32v or maybe back to turbo planning. Thanks for all of the help everyone, I am grateful.
Well guy. Looks like I'm taking over your idea you was going to do. I have an aviator I'm going to drop a 5.4 into. I'm going in a lifted direction with set of 35s under it. I'll let you know how it goes. I've done many swaps some with a navigator motor and electronics into an old 1985 f150 step side body sitting on 44s and a 351w fuel injected in a nissan 240sx. Which I have both for sale right now buy the way. So this isn't anything new just the body and motor is different.

Back