4.6 shift extending, the truth here!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 shift extending, the truth here!!

Zerodevil- All Explorers and Mountaineers from 2002-2005 have the 4.6 2V 239HP motor. 06+ Ex's and Mounty's have the 4.6 3V 292HP motor. The 03-05 Lincoln Aviator is the only one to get the 4V DOHC 302HP motor. As you may know, the Aviator is basically an Ex or Mounty, just different interior and exterior panels.

When I was buying my ex/mounty I didn't know the aviator had the 4v... I would've waited a few more weeks and gotten an aviator; found one I liked but it was ~2500$ more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah but the aviators look like they sit so low. looks like they tuck the front wheels. id take our mountaineers over the aviator.

arent lincolns heavier anyways? Id think they need that little bit of extra power lol

thanks for the Info limited...ive never paid much attention to the mounties and aviators(ive only seen 2 generation 3 mounties up here!!) and ive NEVER seen an aviator...id like to get my hands on one of those 4v aviator motors...and build off of it...those 4v heads have a TON of potential in em.

Shadow, that was the problem myself and limited were trying to adress, the 6000 rpm shift was a gamble that we could prolong the shift enough to get to 60(the idea was that although we would be out of the powerband, we would still be getting to 60 faster because of the missing 2nd-3rd shift.) it was a good idea, but the stock explorer motor doesnt have enough power after 5500 rpm to pull it off, maybe with the propper cam this would be a good idea(and i will deffinately be trying after i build my motor)

yeah but the aviators look like they sit so low. looks like they tuck the front wheels. id take our mountaineers over the aviator.

I've parked next to a bunch of them and their the same height.

And obviously if I got an Aviator I'd baby the CRAP out of it.

arent lincolns heavier anyways? Id think they need that little bit of extra power lol

I believe the lincoln dealer I got my mountaineer from said the aviator weighs about 500lbs more.

Back