4.6 shift extending, the truth here!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 shift extending, the truth here!!

zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
OK, there was a little debate in one of the recent 4.6 upgrade threads, and i volunteered to see about increasing acceleration in the gen 3 X, by extending the shift points up to 6000 rpm. So i began to work with james over at hensonperfromance.

FIRST off, with 3 tunes tested so far, none of the programs have been able to change the 1st-2nd shift from 5200(arpox) rpm to the intended 6000 rpm...we are still working to fix this problem."

SECOND, I believe the only gear worth extending is 2nd...if it can be used to get an extra 4-6 mph out of it(thus getting to 60 before shifting)..it will yield the most benefit.

THIRD, IMO it would not be wise to stay out of the power band for any other gears other than 1st and 2nd. as the 6000 rpm shifts killed my higher Speed acceleration.

MY RESULTS!!! The first program did extend the 2nd gear enough to get to 60 mph...but i did not shoot video of it. Now on the 3rd program i am starting to lose more and more faith with this idea. my 0-60 droped from just about 7 seconds...to almost 8.5 seconds(likely to be fixed if 1st gear can be tuned to shift at 6000 rpm). and like i said previously..high end acceleration suffered from the vroom vroom reving past its powerband...this idea of 6000rpm shifts might do well in a Supercalifragilisticexpealidociouscalifragilisticexpealidociouscharged motor though...where the vehicle would have an altered power band.

use these two videos to compare performance..both tests were conducted at the same location, in similar tempertures.

Before 6000rpm tune(91 octane tune via henson)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2yW8EObXV8
AFTER 6000 rpm tune(93 octane tune via henson)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8nWjv4Ubzc

again, im still working on getting this down to a science, so these are prelim findings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seemed in the second video that it took a minute from 3 grand before she started pulling, after that, moved pretty good? Well it sucks to know that you can't raise your shift points on the 1-2 because that's where I was hoping to increase it. I will find out VERY soon for myself;) Also, do you have a drag strip up there?

Like i said, we are still working to resolve the 1st to 2nd shift. and yes we do have a strip up here...but seeing as how there is still snow on the ground (and more falling just about once a week)..its still closed..so no go for the moment.

Well when you do make it, I would like to know what your times are. Do you currently have any times at all? Stock or otherwise? I hope to get some new ones tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

No i dont have any times, ive only had this truck for a year, ill be going down to the track this summer...the primary reason is to battle it out with my girl friends dads SSR(im gunna get eaten and ****ted out hard core...but ive gotta represent ford)...ill post times.

What year SSR? 03-04 has the 300HP 5.3 and was hitting the quarter in 15.4 at 84 and the 05 had a motor change to the 390HP 6.0 and went 14.1 at 100 in the quarter. If you take out all the unessecary stuff in you your ex, get that 1-2 shift fixed, you will give him a good run for his money. I would say you run high 9's in the 1/8 and high 14's to low 15's with you current mods.

He has the 6.0...and it is fast as hell!...Im going to lose...but ill be sure to put up a hell of a fight...with any luck my MMR 5.3 short block, crower stage 2 cams, and patriot stage 3 heads will be here and be ready to rock before then.

How soon do you expect to have this combo up and running that you speak of?

it could be upwards of a year and a half(i dont want to rush it as im going to be doing all the work myself)...but the anticipation is making me go insaine.

Be insane, go insane, BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See those two guys on each shoulder, first one says be smart and think about other things other than yourself. See the second one, he says be a dumbass, think about wha' you want and wha' makes you happy. I would listen to the second one:fire:

Jared,

I mentioned in many emails that if you raised the shift points to 6k that the truck would slow down. These engines just don't breath above 5300-5400 rppm at wot. Higher rpms-the engine is just spinning. Now onto the problem I believe this is just a isolated event. I have many customers spinning thier combo high rpm's without problem. I have also mentioned that I would investigate this further with SCT if you would like. So posting a thread stating this is the truth is a bit of a stretch. As I stated I believe this to be a isolated event.-j

I get to 60 just fine in 2nd gear with a completely stock 4.6 setup, I just wish I had a few hundred more RPMs in 2nd gear.

Jared,

I mentioned in many emails that if you raised the shift points to 6k that the truck would slow down. These engines just don't breath above 5300-5400 rppm at wot. Higher rpms-the engine is just spinning. Now onto the problem I believe this is just a isolated event. I have many customers spinning thier combo high rpm's without problem. I have also mentioned that I would investigate this further with SCT if you would like. So posting a thread stating this is the truth is a bit of a stretch. As I stated I believe this to be a isolated event.-j

So ive heard around the site your the guy to talk to about sct programmers. my question is if you use the programmer to change tire size with that automatically change the shift points to the new tires also???

Thanks

James D

So ive heard around the site your the guy to talk to about sct programmers. my question is if you use the programmer to change tire size with that automatically change the shift points to the new tires also???

Thanks

James D

If you program your correct tire size to the computer, then yeah you should shift like it was with stock tires for the most part.

I get to 60 just fine in 2nd gear with a completely stock 4.6 setup, I just wish I had a few hundred more RPMs in 2nd gear.

I wonder if that is because you have a different gear ratio than i do...or because of a different motor(did the 03 mounty have the 2v, 3v or 4v heads?) as you can clearly see in some of my earlier videos...i get to about 55-56 mph and then it drops into 3rd...odd...if i had to guess though, id say you have 3.55 gears...and i have 3.73's.

James, You did infact warn me! and i also knew that 6000rpm was pretty far out of the vehicles power band, i kind of felt it nessasary to test the theory for the sake of Limited02's and my own curiosity..i regret that it actualy reduced performance...i guess thats what i get for trying to prove you people who know what your talking about wrong(Damn you professional gear heads!!)

I will take your word about it being an isolated incident with my truck...i couldnt believe that it didnt change once in any of the 3 programs i tested...just didn't make sense..my hats off to you for trying as much as you did though...perhaps we could see about some sort of compensation for your time?..id hate to have waisted as much of your time as i did.

For the record, i didnt mean to post my findings as in ABSOLUTE, just what i have found through my experience, i apologize for the the missleading title of the thread.

Well I think we need to address the problem then. Get some heads and cams with good springs so that you can pull to 6 grand with ease. What the heck, go nuts and get a custom motor that runs on 93 minimum and turns 8500 RPM without a flinch. Add some twin turbos on top of that, YEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

lol

lol im planning on hi lift cams(.55 inch lift, rpm range of 1200 to 6000 rpm) w/ springs and ported heads. hopefully at that point my new motor should allow my X to benefit from higher rpm shifts...and lol yes next time i have 25 or so grand just laying around burning a hole in my wallet...ill build a ford 427 that can rev to 8500 rpm while running 18 lbs of boost from twin turbos!!...not! ^.^

I wonder if that is because you have a different gear ratio than i do...or because of a different motor(did the 03 mounty have the 2v, 3v or 4v heads?) as you can clearly see in some of my earlier videos...i get to about 55-56 mph and then it drops into 3rd...odd...if i had to guess though, id say you have 3.55 gears...and i have 3.73's.

James, You did infact warn me! and i also knew that 6000rpm was pretty far out of the vehicles power band, i kind of felt it nessasary to test the theory for the sake of Limited02's and my own curiosity..i regret that it actualy reduced performance...i guess thats what i get for trying to prove you people who know what your talking about wrong(Damn you professional gear heads!!)

I will take your word about it being an isolated incident with my truck...i couldnt believe that it didnt change once in any of the 3 programs i tested...just didn't make sense..my hats off to you for trying as much as you did though...perhaps we could see about some sort of compensation for your time?..id hate to have waisted as much of your time as i did.

For the record, i didnt mean to post my findings as in ABSOLUTE, just what i have found through my experience, i apologize for the the missleading title of the thread.

No compensation needed! Just glad you purchased the tuner from me. Thank you.

I did 2 passes the other day, and going up hill I got to 58mph before it kicked into 3rd.

I gotta find a nice flat open area to try again, both passes were on some hilly roads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Zerodevil- All Explorers and Mountaineers from 2002-2005 have the 4.6 2V 239HP motor. 06+ Ex's and Mounty's have the 4.6 3V 292HP motor. The 03-05 Lincoln Aviator is the only one to get the 4V DOHC 302HP motor. As you may know, the Aviator is basically an Ex or Mounty, just different interior and exterior panels.

Back