Rob_I

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7 NA
I searched but came up empty.

My new-to-me 2013 PIU has 4 rear bumper sensors that seem to be useless. I verified and there ARE 'things' with two wires in each sensor location. I'm not sure if they count toward BLIS or backup proximity alert. Nothing on my dash, mirrors or Forscan indicate that BLIS or backup proximity work, nor does changing the Forscan options seem to do anything. (I reverted back to original after I changed and tested with no effect). Maybe I had the wrong forscan values? I also realize BLIS need L&R radar units, but since I'm new to this vehicle, I may be missing something.

The question is, why would they put these expensive sensors in if they aren't used? Is there something in the As-Built data to test? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get the Owner's Manual with the vehicle Rob? It seems that the BLIS and CTA (Cross-Traffic Alert) are part of the same radar unit (page 162).
The transmission gear position determines which program is active (all this time I didn't know that). Therefore I believe the 4 sensors are just for the reverse proximity sensor program.
Both features show as "if equipped" in the Manual.
It isn't unusual to install items/features that won't be used in some trims since it's more cost-effective in the long run.

Peter

Interesting indeed about the gear position. Based upon the impressive connector right where the BLIS radar in the rear bumper should be (pictured below), I'm going to say I don't have it. And I don't appear to have the correct mirrors.

As far as having the backup sensors but no actual backup notification system, I find that very odd. I always admired automakers' commitment to nickel and dime people for every little thing yet they purposely drilled and wired sensors just not to use them on my base model PIU.

Is there a way to utilize them? A programming change, or module I could add?
20200704_223728.jpg

I doubt that the PIU comes with BLIS. Most of the ones I've seen on TV have the small convex mirror in the upper outside corner of the mirrors. That is where those with BLIS have the indicator. I've even seen some PIUs with the stick on 2" convex mirrors like I use. Here is a picture of my previous 2011 Limited. You can see the BLIS feature in the upper left corner.

Peter

Attachments

• convex.jpg
    convex.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 88

That was my thought too. Perhaps a super upgrade PIU option, but not common. And correct, my mirror has the integrated convex in the upper corner.

I don't need it, but if it was an easy add on, maybe. Been driving for decades without fancy tech. The backup sensors...more useful especially with the limited rear viability.

Do the sensor wires run to that connector? That connector looks like it has the factory plug in it so the sensors are not plugged in. Are you sure the sensors are stock? On my 14 PIU I had the same connector with a plug in it. My connector is prewired for the sensors and a 4 way trailer wiring. Seems weird to have the sensors but not plugged into that connector.

I'll have to take a serious look. The wires appear and dissappear quickly.

As for being factory, I have no basis for comparison. What does a factory install look like inside the bumper? It doesn't look like a home garage install.

Factory Sensors have three pin plugs with 3 wires coming from them. If they aren't like that, they are not stock.

Factory Sensors have three pin plugs with 3 wires coming from them. If they aren't like that, they are not stock.

Sorry for the old thread revival.

They are 2 wire, so not OEM. The wires disappear into the body and for the life of me I can't find where the harness goes. Why someome would go through all that work just to not enable the system...very odd.

Sorry for the old thread revival.

They are 2 wire, so not OEM. The wires disappear into the body and for the life of me I can't find where the harness goes. Why someome would go through all that work just to not enable the system...very odd.
Being aftermarket probably had its own control head/unit and got yanked when decommissioned.

Probably. It was the PD Captain's personal vehicle from a well-to-do town. I'm sure he asked for the niceties and the wire cutter happy goons just ripped it all out when it was sold to me.

Back