4 wheel drive train | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 wheel drive train

nope, the mounting flange is different.
Now I have a question, does anyone make an adapter plate?
I don't think so....but I have been wrong before, and will be many times more....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know the answer to that, but i personally would rather have the true 4x4 case without a working low range over an awd case. awd doesnt have low anyways right?

Ok thank you I a cant use my friends truck it has a lot of wear and damage the drivetrain is good so i guess their will be a lot of work to do for the swap. Thanks again

Well he could also swap in a manual BW1354 then he can keep his 2wd GEM

Well he could also swap in a manual BW1354 then he can keep his 2wd GEM

and then he could use his truck, get the knuckles, hub bearings, CV/axles, front diff (if they are the same gear ratio he will only need the front), manual tranny, buy a manual 1354 transfercase, mount it all up and cut a hole in the floor, front driveshaft... wheel on!

Well has any done this before? Did they write down what they did?

Most of that shopping list I gave you would come off your friends truck...with the exception of the transfercase. You would have to buy one of those seperate. www.car-part.com will search all the junkyards near you.
Off your friends truck:
CV/axles
Steering knuckles and Hub bearings
Front differential
Rear differential (if your gear ratio is the same as his you wont need this)
Rear driveshaft
Front driveshaft
Manual transmission.

Buy seperately:
The 1354 transfercase.

You will of course have to remove your steering knuckles, possibly your rear diff, install the front diff, his manual transmission, the CV/axles, his front and rear driveshafts, the 1354 transfercase you bought. You will need to get the shifter and related linkage and cut a hole in your floorboard.
Of course you will have to buy some new parts along the way that you might not think of until your already tearing into the trucks, such as possible shocks, upper and lower balljoints, tierods, sway bar links, U-joints, fluids and filters, brakes, etc etc etc, depending on condition of the stuff you already have.

Not sure theres a write up on the 2nd gen 4X4 conversion....but if you wanted a manual case if you have the shorty console or swap to one you can get a floor plate from a ranger or 1st gen explorer that had the manual case because its completely swapable and already has the right size hole.

The transfer case model is BW1354 they're found in 91+rangers and 1st gen explorers.

Your welcome, good luck. Another option is using a BW1350 from the 80's BII's and 80's Rangers but then there has to be driveshaft modifications so much easier to do the BW1354 if you can get your hands on one.

Thank you ill probably go with the BW1354 option, ill keep you updated when its finished, i still have to find the part and clean the parts i already have. Thanks

what parts do you need for the swap besides the transmission?

Back