• Register Today It's free!

4 Wheel Drive whine

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
My 98 Ford Explorer Sport sat all summer. Now, in preperation for winter, I got it running and back on the road. When I was excercising the 4 wheel drive the other day, I noticed that when I turn the wheel sharply to the left, I get a bad whine and the truck sometimes shakes. It seems as if something is locked up but it only happens when turning left, not straight or right. Also, sometimes the back wheel seems to spin if I hit the gas because it is so jammed. The whine appears to be coming from the left front tire and this only happends in 4 wheel drive. Any idea what could be jammed or needs to be replaced?

Bump For help.

Are you doing this on dry pavement? If so, it's normal (and don't do that anymore!!!). That's exactly why you can't use 4wd on pavement. When you're in 4wd, the transfer case locks the front and rear wheels together, forcing them to turn at the same speed. When you make turns, the front and rear wheels need to spin at different speeds. So you get a lot of jerking and odd behavior when you try to turn. This can lead to broken parts, so don't do it. It's not an issue on slippery surfaces because the wheels can spin out to take up the slack, as you already noticed with your rear wheel.

Back