4 x 4 high light flashing

lynchy wa

Down Under Beer Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 LIMITED V8
gday this has been addressed a hundred times on this forum but here goes. I checked transfere case fluid and added extra earth to subframe also couldnt get fault codes from diagnostic and was at wits end having a 4wd with no 4wd then the mechanic mentioned i had rats living in my engine bay (stealing noise insulation and making a nest on my manifold, *******s) they had also eaten into the wiring loom that runs above the radiator cowling (the big bundle of wires the size of a bloody tiger snake) the cover was ripped and 1 wire exposed in 3 places. i wrapped exposed wire with sparky tape and voila problem gone 2 cents worth of tape fixed a drama that id spent a few hundred bucks on over the last 3 months. i should have looked at this first, my own fault but if any one has the light flashing drama check for signs of rodent infestation! look for chewed wires and hopefully its an easy fix like mine.

Believe it or not, rat problems underhood are quite common here in Missouri Ozarks. These are the "Pack Rat" variety, big rats; they completely destroyed wiring under hood of my pickup.

Little story: '96 Explorer parked outside 2 days, not driven, then started and left for town (23 mile trip); 20 miles out engine starts missing, I pull over, pop open hood, find coil pack on fire, smoldering, remains of rat's nest on top. The ******* chewed completely through a plug wire, the HEI was able to jump the gap created, still fire that spark plug, until the insulation caught fire, rubber boots on plug wires were burning, intake manifold scorched, then I guess it started missing, alerting me to trouble. I figger the breeze from the fan kept flame from getting out of hand (lucky). The little caper could have cost the whole vehicle!

I have found socket wrenches, magic markers, misc. stuff in their nests in my old garage, which is not vermin-proof. They seem to prefer shiny things. One time I opened the door, walked in, one of them buggers was staring down at me from up on the wall top plate, fortunately I had my pistol and shot him off there! One more hole in the roof; it leaks like hell, anyway! imp

Back