• Register Today It's free!

4hi and 4low lights blinking

bruzrsxplorer

Reaction score
City, State
so. central idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer 2door sport
i have a 97 2 door xplorer xl. i have 2 questions. 1 while driving down the highway once in a while i notice 4hi, 4 low indicating lights blink 5 or 6 times at hwy. speed. 2. when we arein a parking lot or turn sharp it seems to bind and sometimes make a clunk. i have checked a few problem forums but to no avil. hoping someone could point me in the right dirrection to fix these issues or something... thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was told that uneven wear on tires will cause this effect. im not so sure. and tires have been rotated twice and the wear is even on all four.. so that is b.s!!

First, try disconnecting the battery for a while...believe it or not this has worked for some people. Also, check the sensors in the transfer case. Sometimes they get contaminated with sludge. Check the fluid also.

i was told that uneven wear on tires will cause this effect. im not so sure. and tires have been rotated twice and the wear is even on all four.. so that is b.s!!

That is just one possible cause but not the only one. Anyways, I believe that the "flashing" is indicating that the system is unable to maintain an "acceptable" difference in speeds between the front and back tires. Another likely cause, as indicated previously, is a bad sensor reading for whatever reason.... cleaning may help.

You could also get ford to read any codes from the system which will point you in the right direction faster... maybe... assuming your dealer is "good"... :)

yes, i had making that a plan today anyhow. got a couple qts. of mercon yesterday. this thing is weird. ive had other awd. cars befor and never had any problems. even after beating them to deth. but thanx for the info..

well so far so good for now... changed fluid and cleaned off both sensors. no blinking and, no binding and no clunk. i guess we shall see. time will tell. oh and i do plan on ditching the case and doing an sas as soon as i pile up the parts. but for now im gonna b cheap and do a tortion twist and spring over rear just for now.

Thanks for the update...that is very helpful to others.

Yes thank you for this one. I had a similar experience with the clunk when turning. I installed the Brown wire mode and it went away. All of a sudden i go 4Wding over some sand dunes and put the Low range to the test and the problem is gone. I think the wake up call did it the world of good. Just goes to show they need some excercise to blow the cobb webbs out. In relation to the lights blinking in a series of 6, this indicates the system is not responding. If you disconect the system at the Plastic coupler under the floor to the transfer case you will simuilate the same light flash pattern.

Back