4R55E - Superior's thermo blocker upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E - Superior's thermo blocker upgrade

Vikane

Reaction score
City, State
Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I am doing a rebuild of my 4R55E, and also doing the upgrades from Superior Transmission. I have been reading Glacier991's thread 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

The next MOD in the Superior series I have not done yet, and will save and let whoever wants to buy this VB decide if they want it or not. Ya see, FORD in the 5R55 has a thermostatic control that doesn't let the transmission oil cooler start doing it's job until the fluid has warmed up.

Interesting concept. Might be great in Fairbanks.... maybe unnecessary in Miami. Superior has a piece you add to defeat this. I am skipping it for now.

I live in Norway, the temperature here in the winter could be about -10 degrees, and + 20 in the summer. Would it be recommended to perform Superior's upgrade for me ? I could risk that my transmission never would get warm, when all oil is going straight through the cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sent this email to Superior:
Hi,
I am innstalling your shift correction kit on my 4R55E transmission.
About step 5, do I need to install the thermo blocker when living in Norway ? The temperature here is -10 degrees in the winter, and doing step 5 will probably prevent my transmission from getting warm.

Superior's reply:
Its up to you, it will warm up pretty fast anyway, I just hate to have them stick. I would do it and see how it goes, if your using Mercon V ATF it is fully synthetic so it should not cause any ill effects.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments ?

I installed the Superior thermostat blocker in my 5R55E about
70K miles ago, with no ill effects; trans still shifts perfectly.
The vehicle has been driven in temps between 0*F and 105*F.

I have never heard of an ATF thermostat sticking, although it
wouild probably be catastrophic if it did happen.....?

Would I do the mod if I lived in Norway? Vikane, I honestly don't
know. I also have an 04 Ranger which I assume has the thermostat,
and I have no plans to modify it as long as it isn't giving trouble.
But if I ever have to remove the valve body, I'll block the thermostat.

I too will be interested in others thoughts on the subject......
:cool:

Thanks, after reading all this, I will fit the thermo blocker :thumbsup:

Back