• Register Today It's free!

4r55e Valve body L retainers

medefries

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
Hi guys, I have a 96 xlt with a 4r55e transmission and 4.0 v6. I have read the diaries on the a4ld and 5r55e valve bodies and they are very helpful in locating these pins and other retainers. What they don't show or explain is where these pins engage the valves. They obviously retain them but do they engage a slot or bump a shoulder? It just seems there must be more to it than simply dropping the pin through the hole on the valve body. Anybody have any good info or pictures? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=A4LD/4R44E/4R55E/5R55E&Schematic=9
4R44E%20Valve%20Body%20Parts.jpg

Thanks for the diagram. I still can't make out exactly how to install the pins. I have a good chart for which holes to use on the valve body, but do the pins engage a groove on the various valves? Are they automatically lined up when they valves and solenoids are fully in place? What do I look for in the hole before I drop in the pins?

Thanks BrooklynBay. I'm probably over thinking this but I still am unsure. For example, in the lower right corner of the diagram is the inboard/ outboard revererse modulator. The L-pin appears to engage the plug #6. That plug is actually captured inside the spool RA-1 (with the spring) and is not exposed for the L-pin to engage. So, can I assume that with the valve assemblies properly in their bores and the U-keepers or solenoids in place, will the L-pins line up properly just by dropping them through the appropriate holes in the casting?

I thought I sent a thanks to you yesterday but I must have pushed the wrong button. Anyway I will not be back to the project for a couple days. Thanks again. I'll let you know if I was successful.

203E617A-A18E-4DF1-A428-9334904A65BA.jpeg
CFDD6109-118F-4FA9-BF3E-88B10EAAF156.jpeg
BB4DDD4E-02C7-41D4-B9B1-0A03DB0AB861.jpeg
CAAD3EE2-F793-4FFA-A7B2-10B3DD7316A0.jpeg
These might help. This is from Ratiotek a paid subscription. ATSG is basic and very seldom updates,but when they do you have to buy another manual. Good luck.

Back