• Register Today It's free!

4r55e wont move

Craig Donaldson

Reaction score
City, State
Nixa, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer limited
Hi all, I've read several posts about explorers not moving, but none exactly like my issue. Here's the details:

I rebuilt the transmission 1.5 years ago and drove it since with no problems afterwards. My daughter parked it one night. I went out later to move it and it wouldnt move. The motor acts like it engages in reverse. When I shift back to park I get a clicking sound for 5-10 seconds. I can push the vehicle while it's in park forwards and backwards. I've turned the drive shaft by hand and the transfer case seems to turn like normal. Fluid level is good and in good condition. My daughter said she didnt hear any noises while she was driving it. Any suggests or direction on what I should check or look into next?
Oh, occasionally while driving it the 4x4 hi/ 4x4 low light would blink. Thank you in advanced!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your transfer case is the problem. Try it in 4 low and see if it will move.

I
Your transfer case is the problem. Try it in 4 low and see if it will move.
Get no movement there either, but, I'm not convinced it's actually shifting into 4 high, or 4 low. I can hear the motor engage but the lights don't come on indicated it switched.

The transfer cases in 95-97 were prone to case half wear at the shift fork shaft location that allows the range hub to not engage fully that will give you a neutral condition. Most of the time the first sign of trouble is you will lose reverse.
Brad

I have another transfer case from a parts explorer. Sounds like it will be worth it to change them out and see if it fixes it.

It was something in the transfer case. I swapped it out for another one and it's back on the road. I'll post an update when I take the transfer case apart and find out what's wrong.

Excellent @Craig Donaldson :chug:

Report back, close the loop, and thanks for keeping the forum going!

Back