4R70W Rebuild Diary Part 14 - End Case (pump) Clearance-Selecting the Right Selective | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Rebuild Diary Part 14 - End Case (pump) Clearance-Selecting the Right Selective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I have had some questions on this procedure. In the earlier versions of this transmission this was the more often "by guess or by golly" part of the build.

A tool called an "H" gauge was often used. It did not measure but gauged clearance (a way of taking a setting and maintaining it so it can be either measured using measuring tools or copmpared) which you then measured using a feeler gauge. Somewhere along the way FORD changed that procedure thankfully.

In the 4R70W you use the 1980 AOD toolset gauge bar, and measure down to the bearing surface on the top end of the reverse drum, like so... shown in two views

DSCN7051.JPG

DSCN7052.JPG

Take your measurements 180 apart and average them (warning this is NOT rocket science, and although we are measuring to thousandths, plus or minus a few is way in bounds....relax! This is rough carpentry for a true machinist.)

Anyway, here is what I got:

DSCN7050.JPG

1.552 and then...

DSCN7049.JPG

1.554. Ok so lets say in the range of 1.553, plus or minus a couple.

NOW the easy part... figuring out the selective plastic thrust washer. It is going to be one of these five:

DSCN6649.JPG

Ready? Here is the FORD listing:

(to tenths, interesting in such a rough measurement environment)

1.5033 to 1.4845 - use the Green one

1.5213 to 1.5034 - use the Yellow one

1.5383 to 1.5214 - use the "Natural" one (straw colored)

1.5553 to 1.5384 - use the Red one

1.5813 to 1.5554 - Use the Blue one.

For us... it is the "red" one.... Pretty simple eh ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very Interesting and seems to be easier than the a4ld measurements Glacier once again I have still never seen anybody so detailed at what they do.(I pay attention but not that close A.D.D lol) That is Adult add or in laymens terms TO MUCH BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway ever figure out why the difference in the VALVEBODYS?

I'm awaiting getting the case guts all buttoned up to turn my attention to the valvebody issues... hopefully my reaserch then can answer your questions.

Ok I shall wait .......Again another beautiful tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back