4th Gen Headrests in 3rd Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Headrests in 3rd Gen Explorer

dkmcclelland

Reaction score
City, State
Adel, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 ST Adrenalin
Does anyone out there know if this is possible? I've got the tan leather interior on my '04 Limited, and I just hate the headrests in there... they're small and don't tilt and don't really provide much support... I'd love to have the angled headrests from a 4th gen... if they'd fit...

Any idea's would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm...you'd have to find the distance between the two posts on that. If they are the same and the same diameter and color you should be able to do a swap with no problem. I know 4th gen seats will fit in our 3rd gens. Someone did a swap.

I wonder if the ratchet headrests from the '11's will fit... I don't think the Ford dealership will take too kindly to me yanking their headrests...

why not? go in with your Ex/Monty... ask the sales person "hey, If you're not busy, would you mind if I measured a few things on the new Explorer"?

In all my years of building cars, for myself & others, I hvae found that the direct approach 99.999% of the time wins me a new friend. Most car people get other car people. they "get" the concept of modifications & "making it work". Heck, I stopped at a local car audio dealer one day because I saw they had a 2010 Ex on their lot with monitors in the head rests, guess what, I can use them if I want too. a couple measurements, they look at it as a potential sale.

The worst thing they can say is No.

Rob

I stopped by there this morning, and they are just a smidgen too wide. I Ben tried the rear headrests, and they're too narrow... The '11 headrests are entirely too narrow.

There goes that idea...

Back