• Register Today It's free!

4th Gen Tail Lights on 3rd Gen X

Reximus Prime

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Lake Park, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer NBX
I've read here and there, that the newer tail lights on '06+ Ex's will fit (the body) on the 02-05... but with some wiring modification (I think the 4th gen tail light has 3 Bulbs instead of 2).

Has anyone tried this and possibly have pics???

I've looked at other aftermarket ones and I think I like the stock '06 tail light best. The price is a bit steep though, since they're genuine Ford parts.

Any insight would be much appreciated.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its been so long since I have installed them that I dont remember exactly but I believe there is an extra brake light and reverse light is different. Also two of the mounts are different. The screw holes line up perfect but the pin style mounts use bigger studs on the 06-09. I ended up making the 02-05 ones work but I highly reccomend buying the correct grommets and pins cause it was a pain to get mine to work but I had already modified the wiring.

DSCN1007.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

looks good tyler keep up good work

Its been so long since I have installed them that I dont remember exactly but I believe there is an extra brake light and reverse light is different. Also two of the mounts are different. The screw holes line up perfect but the pin style mounts use bigger studs on the 06-09. I ended up making the 02-05 ones work but I highly reccomend buying the correct grommets and pins cause it was a pain to get mine to work but I had already modified the wiring.

DSCN1007.jpg

DSCN0999.jpg

Those look great! When you say the correct grommet and pins, do you mean the connectors that hold the bulb and hold it in the lens? If so, that may be another costly addition to this project.

I suppose my next question I'll have to ask over on the 4th Gen board, "Does anyone want to sell a pair of tail lights?"

Those look great! When you say the correct grommet and pins, do you mean the connectors that hold the bulb and hold it in the lens? If so, that may be another costly addition to this project.

I suppose my next question I'll have to ask over on the 4th Gen board, "Does anyone want to sell a pair of tail lights?"

Ebay is your friend.

Tyler-If one morning you come outside and have 3rd gen taillights, it wasn't me:D

Ebay is your friend.

Tyler-If one morning you come outside and have 3rd gen taillights, it wasn't me:D

I wish eBay was my friend...

I can't seem to find any pairs for less than $200. Most aftermarket styles are a lot cheaper (though most are a bit too flashy for me), so I may just stick with what I got. I'd also like to put tail light guards on as well, so I suppose its dumb to put expensive new lights on, only to cover them with something.

Then again... it does look pretty good with guards on...

7G047606XX-EXPLORER.jpg

What color is your Ex? You could try darkening them with Niteshades?

My ex is blue, so I don't mind some color. I think if I sprayed them totally, that'd be a little too dark for my taste. I like some color.

I suppose I could mask them and spray them anyway I wanted. Hmm... Things to think about.

Has anyone tried that?

Nightshades with reverse light

here are my lights. i used a few coats of nightshades, but masked off the reverse lights. maybe something like that would work for your lights.

I like the idea of some paint with areas masked off. that would be interesting to see.

2011-03-04_07-31-55_835.jpg

IMG00036-20101117-1736-1.jpg

IMG00039-20101117-1737.jpg

heres mine ... they look better now ... since that pic ive sprayed them with clear

here are my lights. i used a few coats of nightshades, but masked off the reverse lights. maybe something like that would work for your lights.

I like the idea of some paint with areas masked off. that would be interesting to see.

2011-03-04_07-31-55_835.jpg

Did mine the exact same way. Did you remove the light on top of the hatch or masked it off? I was in the process of taking the screws out then saw that wire and didn't feel like removing it.

Back