Solved - 4WD, AWD, and Transfer Case Information and Operation | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 4WD, AWD, and Transfer Case Information and Operation

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Transfer Case Questions/Troubleshooting

Hello, I have a 98 Ford Explorer V-6, 4.0. Four wheel drive, PT Electric. I have been having problems with a loud whirring, almost like a chain noise that gets real high pitched until I either tap the gas or slow down under 45 mph. This only does this when I am on the highway at 50 mhp or better and I need to slow down, does not do it in town, although when idling I can hear this grumbling noise from around the motor/transmission area. Put it in the shop they changed some planet gears, said the motor was good, had it home and two days later started the same thing again when i slow down, took back to shop they changed out the motor, still didn't fix it, some suggest finding a used transfer case. Any ideas what the problem could be? Also been looking for transfer cases and we are having a problem with compatibility. We have been told with the 98 Explorers there is only one transfer case that will fit and it is F87A-CA (4405), first of all is that correct information? We have been told both ways, so we dont want to end up with a transfer that won't fit, and we are having a difficult time finding one, live in Clinton, MO any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I have a 98 Ford Explorer V-6, 4.0. Four wheel drive, PT Electric. I have been having problems with a loud whirring, almost like a chain noise that gets real high pitched until I either tap the gas or slow down under 45 mph. This only does this when I am on the highway at 50 mhp or better and I need to slow down, does not do it in town, although when idling I can hear this grumbling noise from around the motor/transmission area. Put it in the shop they changed some planet gears, said the motor was good, had it home and two days later started the same thing again when i slow down, took back to shop they changed out the motor, still didn't fix it, some suggest finding a used transfer case. Any ideas what the problem could be? Also been looking for transfer cases and we are having a problem with compatibility. We have been told with the 98 Explorers there is only one transfer case that will fit and it is F87A-CA (4405), first of all is that correct information? We have been told both ways, so we dont want to end up with a transfer that won't fit, and we are having a difficult time finding one, live in Clinton, MO any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please start a new thread for this post.

But to answer the question, any transfer case from 98-01 will work. It's the 97 cases that is unique to that model year. Unfortunately I don't know what suffixes that means you can use.

problems with 4wd

i have a 98 ford explorer 4wd... and im hearing noises from underneath the front end area when i accelerate... it dont matter if its slow take off or fast take off i hear what to me sounds like something skipping like for a example when a chain skips a tooth or two.. does anyone have any ideas what it could possibly be 4wd is def not my area of expertness this is my first 4wd vehicle so any info will be a big help thanks

I have recently purchased a 2005 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC XLT and wjen I put it into 4x4 high the light comes on the dash but when I switch it to 4x4 low the same 4x4 light stays on but dosn't say 4x4 low is this normal it does appear to be working okay.

4 wheel drive not working except 4x4 low

I have a 96 explorer and i put in a transfer case from a 92 and i was wondering if thats why 4 low wont work. one of the sensors for the t-case are not hooked in, because the 92 t-case has only one spot for a sensor ind my 96 t-case has two sensors.

I have recently purchased a 2005 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC XLT and wjen I put it into 4x4 high the light comes on the dash but when I switch it to 4x4 low the same 4x4 light stays on but dosn't say 4x4 low is this normal it does appear to be working okay.

Put the truck into neutral and then switch into 4x4 low. The 4x4 low light should then light up and low range will be engaged.

4x4 works great Need info on Winter Tires

I really appriciate all the help the 4x4 Hi and Low work great I didn't realize it had to be in neutral to work still learning about this truck.:salute:

I am looking for winter tires that can grip icy roads. I find the truck slides out easily even with some weight in the back of it any suggestions on brand or type of tire that would work.:feedback:

Still learning about mine too ;) First time it's been through a winter with me.

I'm running a set of Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country's currently. They're decent on snowy, icy roads but I wouldn't recommend them. I've heard to stay away from all season tires and go with an on/off-road tire. IMO you're best bet is a set of BFG All Terrains. Cousins got them on his truck and he's pointed me in that direction when I need a new set. Don't limit yourself to just my suggestion, however.

Check out the wheels/tires section:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Winter Tires

I appriciate your time responding to me on what tires I should look at for winter driving. I will continue researching this till I can find one that has some good traction on icy roads around the city. :thumbsup:

I have a 97 ford explorer Sport.I was told(yes I`m a woman)that it operates in two wheel until the wheels start spinning,and it engages the 4 wd in automatic mode.Is this true,or is somebody "blowing smoke"?

I have a 97 ford explorer Sport.I was told(yes I`m a woman)that it operates in two wheel until the wheels start spinning,and it engages the 4 wd in automatic mode.Is this true,or is somebody "blowing smoke"?

This is true. Most (if not all) 2nd gen 4x4 Exploreres operate in a 2wd "auto" mode when it is not completely engaged in 4 wheel drive. This means that the vehicle will operate in 2 wheel drive until the system senses wheel slip. It will then automatically engage 4 wheel drive until you regain traction, it may take a short bit until the system kicks in, however. When you want to engage 4x4 manually, keep your speed down and turn the dial to 4x4 "high." If you want to engage 4x4 low, stop the vehicle, place it into neutral, and switch to 4x4 low. Low is really only to be used in very low traction conditions at slow speeds.

Thanks for the info! Mine doesn`t go into the 4 wheel mode when the tires are slipping.What could be the problem?

Thanks for the info! Mine doesn`t go into the 4 wheel mode when the tires are slipping.What could be the problem?

You're welcome. The system sometimes takes a little bit to engage from time to time in the "auto" selection. I would go out and test this a couple times if I were you. Preferably going up a small hill so that you don't have to hit the gas all that hard in order to start slipping.

Used transfer case

Hello,

I am looking for a used transfer case for a 96 EB Explorer. I have a 4r55e transmission and a 4.0L v6 engine.

Thanks, Rick

Hello! I am new to this entire site, so please bear with me.

I have a '97 Explorer XLT with 5.0L engine and AWD. I am pretty sure the transfer case is going bad because it grinds when making a turn and tires "hop' on asphalt.

Can I just disengage the front drive shaft? Will it cause long term damage?

Thanks.

2nd gen 44-05 transfer case dumb question (now)

So, the transfer case on my 2000 4-door Explorer has gone crunch snap bang.

With the help of some posts on here we have identified the thing, found a replacement, and are going to put the new one on.

I noted a post that mentioned servicing the transfer case. I change the oil faithfully, rotate the tires, check all the other fluid levels regularly. It was suggested to me that I should have had some service to the transmission (check or flush the fluid at some point) and that maybe it would have been a good idea to check the fluid in the transfer case.

Ok, well, dumb lady owner has never heard this, farming boy sons don't care much about my vehicle, but I love it dearly when the snow is deep in the lanes. It has 283,000 clicks on it and until last week ran like a charm (except for a little chuck in the drivetrain which no-one had time to investigate....)

Please tell me what schedule the fluid in the transmsission or transfer case should be checked on. I promise I won't let this happen again :)

Vi

is it normal for my 1998 to make a moaning sound at low speeds in 4x4? Also, when i turn and it binds, it makes a loud clunk... more like the chain slipping. And it sounds like a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.

have a 96 explorer limited

everytime I accelerate
the whole vehicle jerks when I reach the spead of 50-60 km
and makes a loud clicking noise
it does the same at 70 km
the same problem is also experienced while slowing down

could it be the transfer case

please help

Does the vehicle make any of the popping sounds when accelerating from a dead stop?

Regards,
Andy Correa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWD issues

In snow what works best for a 2002 explorer? 4X4 hi low....auto??????

and what wheels should have traction? I seem to have one rear tire only when in any option........seems the same in 4X4 auto setting.......

Back