4wd light blinks 8 times | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd light blinks 8 times

sc0rch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok I've been searching for about a week now trying to figure out what's wrong with my wifes 2005 xls. First the abs light comes on and it says check advance track..then the 4wd light blinks 8 times then stops for a minute then back to blinking...if I put it into 4w high b4 the light blinks it will go but as soon as the light starts it kicks out and won't. Go back in...any help is greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's your tires?

Worn or mismatched tires will cause problems with the 4x4. Not saying this is the issue but just one thing to check out.

A worn wheel bearing could cause ABS codes due to the sensor gap getting wide.

Well, its working correctly in that the computer is seeing a mismatch btween some sensors and going into a limp home mode. Could be as simple as an ABS sensor tone ring issue. You didn't say which engine/transmission/transfer case you have. Im trying to remember but I think a 2005 uses the rear wheel ABS sensors to determine vehicle speed as well as match up to front to determine when there is slipping to engage the Auto 4WD function. The computer actually can get this info from a few other sources too. When they don't all agree, it knows there is a problem and shuts 4WD off to prevent further damage and get you home to saftey. Pulling ABS codes takes a special code reader, not your typical auto parts store one.

Thanks for the info fellas..I don't drive it much but when I got in it lastnight I noticed its making a noise in the front possible drivers side and it sounds like I have one knobby mud tire on it so I'm thinking a bad hub..glad the wife didn't think that was important enough to tell me about lol....if it is a bad hub is that more than likely the entire problem with the abs and 4wd ?

My money is betting on the abs tone ring on the axle.

Back