• Register Today It's free!

4x4 light blinking

tybogit

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer xlt 4.0
my 4x4 light started blinking recently... I was curious if anyone was to know what could be the cause of it? I believe it blinks about 7 times. The light stays on for a second then goes off for about a second, 7 times...My 4wd still engages and works. I noticed my front end, sort of bind up and pop when I turn the wheel while moving. More likely to happen the tighter the turn. and my ball joints on the upper control arm were shot. I had the ball joints replaced and the dealer said my auto 4wd was kicking on possibly bc of uneven treadwear on my tires, (due to needing an alignment) causing the binding and popping I was hearing. But I didnt notice the 4x4 light blinking until recently.. I don't know if any of what I shared is relevant but I would appreciate any help leading to information as to why my 4x4 light is blinking and also would like to know if you guys think the dealer its correct about the binding and popping in the front end or if it is a more serious matter...
Thank you,
TYLER

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having a similar issue and would like to know if it's anything to be concerned about. I just got this '03 XLT and if I push the 4X4 LOW button on the dash, the amber light on the button itself will blink several times.

I can press the 4X4 HIGH button and the light in the gauge cluster will come on, and I can only assume 4X4 AUTO is working normally.

Any thoughts? I'm still in the stages of just trying to get the truck to pass inspection (another thread)...don't know about the 4X4 LOW...this is my first 4WD vehicle too...

you are straining the differential and transfer case when your tires are uneven causing the auto 4wd to kickin. worst if you're driving it at higher speeds.

does the popping and binding stop when you just do it in 2wd?

you are straining the differential and transfer case when your tires are uneven causing the auto 4wd to kickin. worst if you're driving it at higher speeds.

does the popping and binding stop when you just do it in 2wd?

I have 4x4 auto. It does it while it should be in 2wd.. does it in 4wd as well. My first 4wd truck as well. Just wanted to throw that in
There

Starting to think it may be the uneven tread wear in my tires, causing auto to kick in

Any ideas on the "4x4" light blinking 7 times?

the blinking indicates a fault code stored in the gem, so you need a dealer to get the codes for that. an obd2 scanner will not get the codes.

it might be simply an issue of worn tires and/or bad suspension which is your starting point. most of the time it's an issue with the 2 speed sensors on the transfer case (assuming the tires are ok)

"I" don't have an answer for this, "I" can't help.

Back